Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#4999 - 01/11/03 03:10 PM Madrid: Plaza de Espana a good area?
nola2madrid17 Offline

a very expensive finding agency found what sounds like a nice and affordable flat for me and my friend, its on a side street near plaza de espana, off the bigger street (calle de princessa i believe).

anyway, i´m just wondering if anybody can tell me whether thats a relatively safe area or not- i walked by it today and it seems like its gonna be pretty empty on my way home in the early morning -does anybody have any experiences with this area?

thanks for the help!

#5000 - 01/11/03 04:10 PM Re: Madrid: Plaza de Espana a good area?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm sure the madrileños can give you a better idea than me of how this area is.

Can you give us the nearest intersection to give us a more precise idea of the zone in which this apartment is located?

Would you also be willing to tell us the name of this "very expensive finding agency" and even how much they're asking for their service as well as your experience with them? This would be valuable information to our future/current message board members. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#5001 - 01/11/03 05:26 PM Re: Madrid: Plaza de Espana a good area?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Dear Nola:

PdEspaña area is downtown, and there will be, in all probablity a fair polica presence. I am not sure exactly where your apartment would be located, so I cannot say for sure. I would generally say that Madrid has much less crime (except for the usual assorted pickpockets and purse-snatchers), especially violent crime, than just about any other comparable US city. Everyone roams around all night, partying, and I think the downtown area would be hopping until at least 3 or 4am, hence many people around, plus there is good taxi service (the Metro closes, depending on the station and season around midnight, unfortunately).

Of course I am a fairly burly man (read overweight and tall!), and have more intimidation factor in my favor! If I can remember, I will ask some of my friends about the area, but it would help if you could give me the name of the barrio or general area, if not the exact location.

Generally women are pretty much mobile all hours here, but usually in groups.

Good luck, and consider other towns nearby for apartments. It is less expensive, less noisy and gets you closer to the Spanish people.

Best in Spain,
Martín Shellabarger

MadridMan: Sorry for the esignature ad in the other reply! We met a couple of years ago at your fiesta across from Atocha. I was with José Duende. . . When are you returning?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments