Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#49987 - 07/28/00 02:58 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Diana
I think you just brought an extra wave of "home-sickness" to a lot of people! There's something about Spain: the people, the culture, the values, the appreciation and enjoyment of life. I know I'm not alone in saying I love every aspect of Spain: the cities to the smallest of villages - desert to mountains to coast ('thou I can do without the mega-tourist stuff around Marbella. There is something in the air as was said - and it gets in your bones - You keep going back never thinking you can love Spain more than you do right now - only to be proved wrong when, each visit, you fall fall more deeply in love with the people and country than the last time.
Oh boy - am I the only one wishing I could hop a plane right this second????

#49988 - 08/01/00 10:52 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Wonderful thread! How do you explain the ineffable...

I got hit by the Spain bug when I first went there. It was a short trip to Granada (not even a holiday) in Spring. I was lucky enough to be staying in the Albaicin, with a view across to the Alhambra. I just couldn't get over the place, the light, the people, the food, the whole incredible atmosphere in the streets, as though every day had to be lived to the full, every moment savoured. That's what Spain has in bucketloads, "sabor", nothing is "soso".

It was at a low point in my life, but I came back on a high. Spain showed me what life is really all about, and I've never looked back.
!Espagna es vida!

#49989 - 08/01/00 03:24 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I have a feeling that I'm not alone in the hope, the dream, the illusion that I will move to Spain for my retirement years. What better place is there??! I idea of living in a small-ish village somewhere in Castilla is SO appealing with its slower pace, friendly and talkative people, tomando paseos antes (o despues) de cenar, never needing a car because everything is within walking distance, knowing your neighbors, the Spanish countryside a stone's throw away, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Dreaming of Spain, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#49990 - 08/12/00 11:51 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
Crann Offline

Loc: Liverpool, England
I don't know if anyone's visiting this thread anymore, but it was actually an Irishman - St Brendan - who "discovered" the american continent... 300 years before the Vikings. And in a leather boat too! The adventurer Tim Severin recreated the boat and the trip and wrote about it in The Brendan Voyage. It's a good read.

#49991 - 08/15/00 12:51 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I was reading this thread and drifted off into Spanish La-La Land. I first got bit by that Spanish bug when I lived in the Canary Islands for 2 years. I have come up with a list of things that will no doubt steer me back one day(not including the fact that my fiancee is from there)
1.Pan del dia(is there anything better than fresh bread with butter and jam?) I know you can have it here in the states as well, but in Spain, it just tastes...better.
2. The people- friendliest nation in the world.
3. The language...hablas espanol?
4. the food...paella de gambas, ensalada rusa, tortilla de papas y jamon etc.
5. the people- did I mention how friendly they are?
Well, those are just a few, sometimes I think I'm a Spaniard born in an American's body...

#49992 - 08/15/00 11:50 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm with you, mencey! I too feel like a Spaniard in an "American's" body. I agree with your 1-5 wholeheartedly. Is it odd to hope to be buried (AFTER I die, that is) in Spain although I've never lived there?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#49993 - 08/15/00 12:33 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
mencey, I'm going to get weepy again! The first few months I lived in Madrid I lived almost only on pan del dia con margarina y mermelada. (I eventually expanded as I learned how to cook good Spanish food!)) I was convinced I was in paradise! I think it's those little things that get to you.

#49994 - 08/22/00 02:04 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Mencey-
I agree with everything except for one thing. Although Spanish people are very nice and I have many, dear Spanish firends, I would not consider them to be "friendly", like we think of Americans being friendly. Or is it outgoing that I mean? You know what I mean? You lived on the Canaries. I'm sure, given its island nature, the people are very friendly.
Although Spaniards are in no way reserved, like the British, for example, I don't know, maybe I should just stop here before I put my foot in my mouth. Anyone know what I mean? Maybe I should say that the majority of my Spain experiences are rooted in Sevilla and Sevillanos. Ahh, I want to go back right now!!
-Jen

#49995 - 08/22/00 02:14 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Jen,
I don't know what you mean and I am very confused.
I think you can speak openly, this is a place to share experiences in spain and if you don't think spaniards are friendly you should say so. I remember a topic called "different culture" or something like that, she was a girl who didn't enjoy Spain and she said so, nobody was rude at her and everybody was so nice. I love this board becasue people respect your opinion even if they don't agree with you. Don't be afraid to express yourself. Hey, Spaniard are not perfect !!

#49996 - 08/22/00 02:53 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I feel soooo fortunate, tommorrow I am on my way to Madrid via Paris for a whole year of studying painting! Finally after six months of planning and effort. For me, the big thing about Spain would have to be the people. I think friendly doesn't even begin to do justice to these people. Another word which comes to mind is civilized. I want to be back in Spain because it makes me more civil. For me flamenco is always important. I started to study flamenco guitar when I was 14 (1968) and it provided me with money and gas while I was studying anthropology at the University of Kansas in the seventies. Now I can immerse myself in the most beautiful music, in the most beautiful place, with the most beautiful people in the world! My Spanish is <<muy malo>> but everyone helps me, and having to use it to survive makes it even easier.

Madrid Man, thank you for this wonderful site, you have done a great job, your good heart shines through it. Muchas gracais, amigo. Tienez una buena vida en Espana. Volver muy rapido. !Hasta a poco tiempo! And forgive my Spanish!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1658 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments