Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#49977 - 07/25/00 02:57 PM What is it about Spain?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Why do people love Spain so much?

I got weepy at the airport when I left after my first trip. I went back and lived there 13 years, very happily. I miss it now I'm in the US again. But I can't put my finger on just what it is that makes me, and apparently an awful lot of other people, love it so much.

Sometimes I think it's just that the dust settled in my bones. I also love the ever-present mountainous horizon and the big Spanish sky.

Any ideas?

#49978 - 07/25/00 03:34 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Spain is in my bones, too. Here's some of the reasons: totally different cultural climates in so many regions; the idea that the afternoon begins at 2 and ends at, oh, 10 or 11; the kindness of lots of folk, and the general ok attitude of most; kids in the plazas at midnight; menu del dia with wine; the smell of cafe con leche. I also think for north americans, being around a culture that is thousands of years old appeals to us. The "new" cathedral in Salamanca is older than any bldg in the U.S.!!
rgf

#49979 - 07/25/00 03:50 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
i definitely have to agree, i want to rush over there so bad right now!

------------------
San Lorenzo del El Escorial Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#49980 - 07/25/00 04:44 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GREAT thread idea, Diana! rgf, I agree with you too. The "age" of Spain appeals to me too. Plus, knowing that it's because of this country that my own [continent] was discovered in 1492 is BIG in my mind.

I also think we (or at least I) admire a social system/culture that binds children with parents and parents with parents all in one very very close nuclear/extended family and is something most would like in our own families.

The pace of life. Spaniards have told me that they're not as "slow paced" as the world thinks, but still, I believe they're more calm, more fulfilled, less stressed than us here in the USA at least.

The general safety of the Spain is also something I think we all appreciate, knowing we can walk through a big city at 3am and feel comfortable that you won't be attacked by a gang of thugs looking to do whatever they want just for fun because there's no one else on the street.

But like any country, Spain has their share of problems. So what is it? It's a smell. It's an attitude. It's family. It's THE FOOD. It's the passion. It's age and beauty of architecture. It's public transportation. It's "riding the rails" (trains). It's history. It's SO many things and I love it. I LOVE SPAIN!!!!!!

Muchos Saludos, MadridMan

----------------------------
See Madrid & Sevilla with all their golden, Spanish magic through MadridMan's Madrid & Sevilla Videos .

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-25-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#49981 - 07/25/00 06:30 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Madridman is right on all counts! One more thing, though: to love Spain you MUST love the language. You must want to try to know how to express yourself, even if basically. The thrill of asking for a bocadillo de calamares y una cana, and then asking cuanto es? cannot compare to the English-only method some visitors try. So... learn some Spanish, and the doors will open very wide. Another thing to love about Spain: the cities are exciting and the small towns are quaint. So take your pick. If you are in a small town and go back to the same bar or restaurant two times, you are a REGULAR! Those of you who are in Spain right now: raise a cana and pincho de tortilla to those of us who wish we were still there. rgf

#49982 - 07/25/00 08:46 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
missmadrid98 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Spain has enchanted my heart, and warmed my soul. I feel at home in Spain, people tell me that perhaps I was from there in my former life, and I don't doubt it. Everytime I return I feel at home, I also feel happy, a happy feeling along with rested shoudlers. I have been dancing flamenco since last year and go several times a week to classes and rehearsals and started performing this year. I feel the connection, I feel the music, I feel Spain. And it is hard for people to understand me and why I feel this way. There are even some people that I have gone with and don't feel the same way. Like I have taken some friends with me to show them this magical place, but their experience was not the same as mine, then I understood, not everone will have the feeling I have, and I can't force that either, I wanted them to have the fun I had, and like the things about it, and some people are just not into it. But me, it's my Nirvana, it's my home. When I went to Spain the first time I went by myself for a month, it saved my sanity and gave me a new life within me. It opened doors in my heart that I never knew were there to be opened. I discovered a whole new world I never knew was out there. When I go there I feel great and alive. And I know there are people in this forum that understand that! That's why I am moving there, i'm going back home, where I belong! Que Vive Espana en mi corazon siempre!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010

#49983 - 07/26/00 09:21 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
Brian Goldthorp Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, yes, yes to all your comments, except.....
MadridMan - "discovered" in 1492! Being a Canadian, I can't resist telling you that Newfoundland is celebrating the 1000th anniversary this year of the Viking landings at L'Anse aux Meadows in northern Newfoundland. Nearly 500 years earlier, and actually on the continent rather than islands in the Caribbean! Check it out at http://www.gov.nf.ca/vikings . On the other hand...I'm betting all of us would rather be spending time in Spain than in Norway, so three cheers for "Los Reyes Catolicos" and that Italian they sent across the Atlantic!

[sorry Brian. I had to "fix" your URL to make it clickable]

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-26-2000).]

#49984 - 07/26/00 09:43 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Sorry Brian. I should have been more specific. I meant that it was in 1492 that "The New World" was discovered by civilized people. DOH! Hehehee.. Just kidding. I'm sure the American Indians who were living on the American continent didn't even know they were "lost" before they were "discovered". hehhehehehee...

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#49985 - 07/28/00 11:53 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
Diana Offline

Thanks, everyone - I can really relate to everything you've all said. I thought it was really interesting that people brought up the age of things in Spain. I always thought that was something weird I felt. I get great comfort out of ancient buildings. It's as if they say -hey, we've been around a long time, and we're still here for your enjoyment. Very comforting. I'm also always impressed at how old and ancient peoples in Spain picked the most beautiful spots to build! Last year I visited Ullastret, in the Costa Brava region, where Iberian people built a city 4,000 years ago, in a truly stunning location. I guess even back then people were crazy about Spain!

I totally agree with the importance of family in Spain. Not only is family important within a family, but I find Spaniards respect others' families just as much.

There is something no one mentioned, and I wonder if any of you ever felt this way. I feel a much greater level of personal freedom in Spain than in the US. With very few exceptions, Spaniards are very accepting of people, regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation, or opinions. Here in the States you have to be very careful of stepping on people's toes. Yes, you can say whatever you want here - freedom of speech, and all that, - but what about the consequences? Why, I can't even do some healthy waving-of-the-arms at other drivers when I'm on the road! I put my life in danger doing that! (That was one of the hardest habits I had to break when I came back here!) And in Spain, you can walk just about anywhere that looks interesting. Here everything seems to be personal property, and you BETTER respect that! So many restrictions, regulations, societal expectations...

Also, reading about Madridman's lady friend's feelings about signing papers - I can relate. There's a real respect for personal beliefs, and a right to privacy when it comes to sharing personal information in Spain. It rubbed off on me during my many years in Spain. I find it very disturbing that everyone in the States seems to want to know my name, address, phone number, social security number, personal shopping habits, income level, etc., etc. Just posting information on this board has been a huge hurdle for me to overcome! But at least it's my decision in this case, and not something someone needs for their own marketing purpose...(at least I hope so! I'm trusting you on this one, Madridman!)

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 07-28-2000).]

#49986 - 07/28/00 12:38 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Diana, your personal secrets are safe with me......and, I'm sure, with the other 1,000+ telemarketers to whom I gave your social security number, income level, home address and telelphone number. YES!!! I'm kidding!! I know nothing more about you than you have posted in your public profile. But no, I don't do anything with anyone's email address. I'm a STRONG advocate of email address privacy.

Also, I agree with you about the sensation of one's personal safety/freedom in Spain compared to that in places like (here) the USA. As you said, we have TONS of rights to do almost anything we want, but my goodness! Say the wrong thing to the wrong person and BLAMMO!, you're swimming in your own blood. You don't have this worry at all in Spain. Thank God!

Saludos, MadridMan

#49987 - 07/28/00 02:58 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Diana
I think you just brought an extra wave of "home-sickness" to a lot of people! There's something about Spain: the people, the culture, the values, the appreciation and enjoyment of life. I know I'm not alone in saying I love every aspect of Spain: the cities to the smallest of villages - desert to mountains to coast ('thou I can do without the mega-tourist stuff around Marbella. There is something in the air as was said - and it gets in your bones - You keep going back never thinking you can love Spain more than you do right now - only to be proved wrong when, each visit, you fall fall more deeply in love with the people and country than the last time.
Oh boy - am I the only one wishing I could hop a plane right this second????

#49988 - 08/01/00 10:52 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Wonderful thread! How do you explain the ineffable...

I got hit by the Spain bug when I first went there. It was a short trip to Granada (not even a holiday) in Spring. I was lucky enough to be staying in the Albaicin, with a view across to the Alhambra. I just couldn't get over the place, the light, the people, the food, the whole incredible atmosphere in the streets, as though every day had to be lived to the full, every moment savoured. That's what Spain has in bucketloads, "sabor", nothing is "soso".

It was at a low point in my life, but I came back on a high. Spain showed me what life is really all about, and I've never looked back.
!Espagna es vida!

#49989 - 08/01/00 03:24 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I have a feeling that I'm not alone in the hope, the dream, the illusion that I will move to Spain for my retirement years. What better place is there??! I idea of living in a small-ish village somewhere in Castilla is SO appealing with its slower pace, friendly and talkative people, tomando paseos antes (o despues) de cenar, never needing a car because everything is within walking distance, knowing your neighbors, the Spanish countryside a stone's throw away, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Dreaming of Spain, MadridMan

#49990 - 08/12/00 11:51 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
Crann Offline

Loc: Liverpool, England
I don't know if anyone's visiting this thread anymore, but it was actually an Irishman - St Brendan - who "discovered" the american continent... 300 years before the Vikings. And in a leather boat too! The adventurer Tim Severin recreated the boat and the trip and wrote about it in The Brendan Voyage. It's a good read.

#49991 - 08/15/00 12:51 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I was reading this thread and drifted off into Spanish La-La Land. I first got bit by that Spanish bug when I lived in the Canary Islands for 2 years. I have come up with a list of things that will no doubt steer me back one day(not including the fact that my fiancee is from there)
1.Pan del dia(is there anything better than fresh bread with butter and jam?) I know you can have it here in the states as well, but in Spain, it just tastes...better.
2. The people- friendliest nation in the world.
3. The language...hablas espanol?
4. the food...paella de gambas, ensalada rusa, tortilla de papas y jamon etc.
5. the people- did I mention how friendly they are?
Well, those are just a few, sometimes I think I'm a Spaniard born in an American's body...

#49992 - 08/15/00 11:50 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'm with you, mencey! I too feel like a Spaniard in an "American's" body. I agree with your 1-5 wholeheartedly. Is it odd to hope to be buried (AFTER I die, that is) in Spain although I've never lived there?

Saludos, MadridMan

#49993 - 08/15/00 12:33 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Diana Offline

mencey, I'm going to get weepy again! The first few months I lived in Madrid I lived almost only on pan del dia con margarina y mermelada. (I eventually expanded as I learned how to cook good Spanish food!)) I was convinced I was in paradise! I think it's those little things that get to you.

#49994 - 08/22/00 02:04 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Mencey-
I agree with everything except for one thing. Although Spanish people are very nice and I have many, dear Spanish firends, I would not consider them to be "friendly", like we think of Americans being friendly. Or is it outgoing that I mean? You know what I mean? You lived on the Canaries. I'm sure, given its island nature, the people are very friendly.
Although Spaniards are in no way reserved, like the British, for example, I don't know, maybe I should just stop here before I put my foot in my mouth. Anyone know what I mean? Maybe I should say that the majority of my Spain experiences are rooted in Sevilla and Sevillanos. Ahh, I want to go back right now!!
-Jen

#49995 - 08/22/00 02:14 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Jen,
I don't know what you mean and I am very confused.
I think you can speak openly, this is a place to share experiences in spain and if you don't think spaniards are friendly you should say so. I remember a topic called "different culture" or something like that, she was a girl who didn't enjoy Spain and she said so, nobody was rude at her and everybody was so nice. I love this board becasue people respect your opinion even if they don't agree with you. Don't be afraid to express yourself. Hey, Spaniard are not perfect !!

#49996 - 08/22/00 02:53 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I feel soooo fortunate, tommorrow I am on my way to Madrid via Paris for a whole year of studying painting! Finally after six months of planning and effort. For me, the big thing about Spain would have to be the people. I think friendly doesn't even begin to do justice to these people. Another word which comes to mind is civilized. I want to be back in Spain because it makes me more civil. For me flamenco is always important. I started to study flamenco guitar when I was 14 (1968) and it provided me with money and gas while I was studying anthropology at the University of Kansas in the seventies. Now I can immerse myself in the most beautiful music, in the most beautiful place, with the most beautiful people in the world! My Spanish is <<muy malo>> but everyone helps me, and having to use it to survive makes it even easier.

Madrid Man, thank you for this wonderful site, you have done a great job, your good heart shines through it. Muchas gracais, amigo. Tienez una buena vida en Espana. Volver muy rapido. !Hasta a poco tiempo! And forgive my Spanish!

#49997 - 08/22/00 03:18 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Jen Offline

I knew this one was going to get me in trouble...
As Martin said, the word "friendly" doesn't quite do it. Also Nuria, in no way do I mean to say that I don't think Spaniards are not nice people. I love Spanish people and many things Spanish!! I better think about this one more so I can figure out what I really want to say.
Jen

After thinking for a moment, I think I just meant to say that they are not friendly in the typically American back-slapping, how ya doin' type of friendliness. This is neither good nor bad, just different. And, unlike that person last month who did not appreciate the fact that it was different, I happen to love the differences. Does anyone know what I mean?

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 08-22-2000).]

#49998 - 08/22/00 03:33 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Diana Offline

Yeah, Jen, I know what you mean. A Spaniard won't go running up to you, blurt out a life story, give you tons of advice about what to do, ask you millions of personal questions. (One of the first: So, what does your husband do? Boy, did that bug me to no end!) I'm afraid I often sound like I'm dumping on Americans (and I am one), and I don't mean to, because Americans really are very nice, friendly, and helpful. Spaniards are also very friendly, but in a different way. They are more relaxed and respectful of your space and your privacy. Once they know you they will always help you and be trustworthy. I like that kind of friendliness because I know what I can expect. The US is so incredibly diverse in so many ways, and that's wonderful, but can also be somewhat unnerving. You know what to expect in Spain, probably because the people all have the same background, more or less. I guess Spaniards can be less exuberant than some Americans. I'm OK with that. I hope I'm making sense!

#49999 - 08/22/00 06:57 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

You make perfect sense! Espanyoles respect privacy more. They don't ask personal questions. I swear, in the U.S, the office staff who just meets you will be asking you very intimate questions in 2 days! Spanish women (of the university age) are also more reserved and don't automatically approach americanas to be friends. You have to get to know a group of people before they will warm up. I, too, like this style better. And with my Spanish graduate students, I appreciate their frankness AND respect for privacy, if you know what I mean. They are both MORE serious and have a BETTER sense of humor than most gringas. I have to say that the personality type i do NOT like is the smart assed young people who act rude. But that holds in ANY country!

#50000 - 08/22/00 09:07 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hello Jen and group! (bet you didn't know what you started when you started it, did you? hehehe...) Jen, you're only making personal observations and rarely do two people perceive things the same from their two different vantage points.

So, MY FIRST perceptions of Spaniards in Spain was that they were always walking too slowly and never seemingly in a hurry to get anywhere (so, they must not have anywhere to go, right?). They all have a scowl on their faces. They stare (hehee) until it seems their eyes will fall out of their sockets. They're not at all friendly.

MY SECOND perceptions after spending some time with Spaniards were that they walk slowly because they're enjoying their walk with their friends/family. They don't have that permanent false smile on their face all the time (like many of us "Americans"). They stare....hehehehe... UNTIL you get to know them. They're the MOST friendly and warm people AFTER you get to know them AND THEN they treat you like part of the family.

MY THIRD impressions were that all that kissing is not because they're passionate people (because THEY ARE!!), but because they're showing their respect for you. After getting to know some men they don't hesitate to give you hugs.

BEFORE I knew any latinos (during the first 24 years of my life) I was your typical "American" that walked around with that always pleasant smile and was happy to give someone a firm handshake. AFTER knowing MANY latinos I have opened up, HAPPY to give/receive double-cheek-kisses with the women, and have NO problem giving men hugs. It's only then that you know that these men (okay, not ALL Spanish men are like this) really care for you in a family/friendship way. And knowing that these Spaniards have welcomed you into their "family" or circle of friends is something truly phenomenal, it's then that you know you have really gained their trust, they're your friends for life (in many cases), and they're likely NEVER to scowl or stare at you ever again.

I read or heard someone sometime say that you are NEVER invited to a Spaniard's home or meet his/her family until you have fully gained their trust and this is difficult to do. I don't know if this is true or not, but have seen total strangers greet me like a long-lost friend if I was introduced to them by a good friend of their's.

So sure. Imagine walking through a crowd of Spaniards or into a Spanish department store and people ignore you, stare at you, or treat your bruskly. I've said this a million times, most often to high school Spanish students who are about to travel to Spain for the first time; Spaniards are not friendly or unfriendly. They're not more or less civilized than you. They're not more or less superior to you. They're not better or worse than you. Spaniards are people JUST LIKE YOU in many ways and very different in many others. So let's appreciate the differences and not be quick to label those differences as right or wrong, good or bad.

Words of "wisdom" by some guy with only 7-years experience with Spaniards and thinks/HOPES(!) he knows what he's talking about, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 08-22-2000).]

#50001 - 08/23/00 09:43 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
Wendy E Offline

I know what Jen is talking about. When I spent a semester in Sevilla, I had ten Spanish roommates and I felt like I never got to know any of them, save one, very well (who coincidentally, was from the Canaries). I thought they were quite reserved.

#50002 - 08/24/00 04:14 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

MM, good points! You obviously have endeared yourself to muchos espanyoles, and have been accepted by family as family. If the suegra gives you consejos, you know you are doing ok!! anyway, since young people tend to make and keep friends forever, it is sometimes hard, as Jen and others say, to get close to roomates, classmates, etc. But if you think about it, the same is true in the US. Under the smiles and gringo-openness is often, among roomates etc, rivalries, hostilities, the usual. Americans just jump right in and ENGAGE: espanyoles mark a certain distance. I like getting to know the esnayoles over the years, making friends that way.

#50003 - 08/24/00 10:47 AM Re: What is it about Spain?
Jen Offline

Hey all-
Just to set the record straight-
I too, have made life-long, very close Spanish friends. We love and admire each other dearly. I was not saying that such differences were positive or negative; I was just discussing the differences. Of course what I say will be from my perspective, which is also multi-faceted. Certainly, when people comment on such issues, they will be generalizations. I find this kind of banter educational, entertaining and fascinating, don't you? BTW, rgf, I completely related to what you said about the university aged women. Most of my good friends (in Spain) were/are males and I subsequently became close to their girlfriends(now wives!) , sisters...
Enjoy-

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 08-24-2000).]

#50004 - 08/27/00 06:08 PM Re: What is it about Spain?
arty_lass Offline

Loc: wolverhampton, west midlands, ...
ok ive read most of these replies and agreed with most of what has been said, but had a spooky shudder when reading miss madrids reply...because i also went to spain for a month on my own and it saved my sanity...which is very poiniant for me and is probably why i love the place so much....all i will add to this discussion is the analogy of the spanish culture that i examined......

as a sharp contrast to my conservative english nature i reacted so positively to what i deemed as a 'rawness' within the souls of the spanish. life is more raw, and more passionate. sex exists in the gaze of men and women on the streets; children witness the death of bulls in the ring; the sevillanas is sung to the audiencs with a directness of spirit never achieved in our over produced dance tracks; and the whole nature of living there takes on a raw, emotionally charged aura....thats what did it for me...he he

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments