Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#47770 - 09/08/06 03:36 PM Madrid: cooking related
nonsettle Offline

Does anyone know where to buy these things?

terracotta cazuelas (if thats what its called) espresso pots
fresh herb plants for growing

Oh, and does anyone have translations for meat cuts? I'm so clueless when shopping for meat!

THanks.

#47771 - 09/08/06 05:19 PM Re: Madrid: cooking related
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
The cheapest place to buy cazuelas and expresso pots is in a ferretería (hardware store).

#47772 - 09/08/06 07:11 PM Re: Madrid: cooking related
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
There's an open air market in Barajas Pueblo not too far from the entry to Barajas (on your right as you enter the village): past the Ermita; immediately after you take the right fork where Avda. de Logroño splits. You should be able to find cazuelas there.

For the meat cuts, go to your local carniceria: You can usually point at what you want to buy (i.e., filetes de ternera, chuletas de puerco o de cordero, etc., etc.) Just tell them how much you want {'medio kilo or whatever).

#47773 - 09/08/06 07:40 PM Re: Madrid: cooking related
Executive Member

With all due respect, there is no reason to go to Barajas pueblo to buy a cazuela. You can buy cazuelas at dozens and dozens of spots in Madrid. Any ferretería (every neighborhood has one or two), Todos a Cien (dollar stores), bazars, supermarkets, El Corte Inglés, the Rastro... They are everywhere.

If you are looking for a fancy one, you might try the cooking store Alambique in Plaza de la Encarnación--though they were undergoing renovations the last time I was there and had limited stock.

Also, a lot of meat guys have a little card with an illustration that shows how the cow is cut up.

#47774 - 09/09/06 07:51 AM Re: Madrid: cooking related
nonsettle Offline

Thanks. You guys are always so helpful. I'm hoping I can find a way to grow my own herbs though. I hate buying a whole bunch of herbs and then seeing them wilt in the fridge after cooking a couple meals.

#47775 - 09/09/06 08:15 AM Re: Madrid: cooking related
Executive Member

A lot of market stalls will give you herbs for free with your purchase (bay leaves and parsley in particular). Most flower shops sell little herb plants, though I've found that the climate here is so dry that it's hard to keep them alive (except for rosemary, which grows like a weed).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments