Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47304 - 08/29/04 04:32 AM Madrid: Sphygmomanometer shopping? (blood pressure meter)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
OK - I know this is a strange one rolleyes

Where in Madrid can I buy a sphygmomanometer? They are the basic instruments for taking blood pressure.

A couple of good friends from Uni have heard that they are cheaper to buy in Spain and I thought I might bring them one each back, as a bit of a lighthearted gesture, from my trip to Madrid as a thank you for help they have given me.

Thanks cool

Jo

#47305 - 08/30/04 10:39 AM Re: Madrid: Sphygmomanometer shopping? (blood pressure meter)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
First prize in the 'Spelling Bee' to Jo-Anne for correctly spelling Sphygmomanometer! laugh Hurrah!

I bought some instruments in Huelva, in a Farmacia (In Huelva most things are much less expensive than in Madrid). They had Sphygomanometers; but most of their stainless steel instruments were from Germany. So I can only assume that the top line sphygmomanometers are also from Germany.

Try a Farmacia. Ask them where you can find a medical supply store that sells to the public. My guess is that if there is one, it would be in Ciudad Universitaria.

#47306 - 08/30/04 01:16 PM Re: Madrid: Sphygmomanometer shopping? (blood pressure meter)
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
I'll second the farmacia suggestion. In my neighborhood there are several that advertise that they do blood pressure checks, so I'd hope they sell the darn things.

#47307 - 08/30/04 04:56 PM Re: Madrid: Sphygmomanometer shopping? (blood pressure meter)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Thanks you two laugh

(Eddie, you wouldn't believe the number of times I checked and double checked the spelling of that word!)

OK, as my Spanish is pants, please could someone give me a basic line to use in the Farmacia - I can just see me getting some very strange looks when I struggle with not only the dreaded word itself, but the Spanish too rolleyes

Thanks cool

Jo

#47308 - 08/30/04 06:54 PM Re: Madrid: Sphygmomanometer shopping? (blood pressure meter)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll give you one: 'señor, es usted el tipo más guapo que he visto en mi vida. ¿es usted casado? ¿que hace esta noche?' laugh

#47309 - 08/30/04 08:46 PM Re: Madrid: Sphygmomanometer shopping? (blood pressure meter)
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I cant even pronounce the word let alone know where to buy one. How about ebay?

#47310 - 08/30/04 09:23 PM Re: Madrid: Sphygmomanometer shopping? (blood pressure meter)
carlos11 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
Ignacio,
Muy gracioso!

#47311 - 08/31/04 02:59 AM Re: Madrid: Sphygmomanometer shopping? (blood pressure meter)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Well, Ignacio, that would probably get me further than any attempt that I could make by myself wink Should I also ask if he has a sister :p wink ???

mencey, the reason I want to get them from Madrid, apart from them possibly being cheaper than UK, is that these two friends did a Camino earlier in the summer and ended up in Madrid. I know they attempted to find/buy one of the (difficult word) things each whilst there, and failed.

As for ebay - I've trained myself out of that one for the moment - that 'going going gone' section had me in it's power for a while rolleyes

Jo

#47312 - 08/31/04 04:26 AM Re: Madrid: Sphygmomanometer shopping? (blood pressure meter)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was going to translate it later so that you wouldn't end in a naïve sudden problem with your beloved husband. smile

OK, if I am here, I could go along with you and help you with this matter. If not:

"Buenos dias, ¿Tienen ustedes (e)sfig*******whatever?"

"Cuanto cuestan?"

"Los tienen aquí o tienen que encargarlos?"

"¿Para cuando los tendrán?

¿donde puedo conseguirlos?

If your husband comes too, I remember he can speak a reasonable spanish. smile

P.S.: (Thank you for taking well the joke, I was a little uneasy). A cheek kiss.

#47313 - 08/31/04 06:54 AM Re: Madrid: Sphygmomanometer shopping? (blood pressure meter)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You could try un aparato para medir la tensión which, in English is an apparatus (used) to measure (blood) pressure.

And, if he/she answers: "oh, you want a sphygmomanometer," you're home free. rolleyes

Or you could just show him/her a copy of the picture you posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments