Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#47218 - 03/18/04 02:48 PM food
schnapps Offline

Loc: essex england
we are finally moving to spain this weekend has anyone got any info that might help us in regards to foods in spain is there anything that we should definatly take with us that we cant buy in spain someone suggested marmite any advance on this thanks schnapps

#47219 - 03/18/04 09:28 PM Re: food
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Things I have gotten requests for (from friends in Spain):

Brownie mix
pancake mix (and syrup)
granola bars (specifically the breakfast ones with fruit filling whose name is escaping me now).

#47220 - 03/19/04 02:55 AM Re: food
costaxpat Offline

It really depends what part of Spain you are going to...Costa del Sol has many english shops and what you cant find here you can pick up in Gib..Alicante areas too, rest of Spain you will not get, sausages, gravy powder, germaline, marmite (bovril yes)custard powder, pickle..BUT you will not hunger as the food in Spain is excelent quality..dont worry too much about things you are use too..if you intend to live here its better to adapt, you will also find a lot of family and friends come to visit so you can always get them to bring you things that you miss..

#47221 - 03/19/04 03:42 AM Re: food
schnapps Offline

Loc: essex england
many thanks for your replies,i am sure we wont miss anything from u.k the quicker we get away the better.

#47222 - 03/19/04 06:04 PM Re: food
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
A very minor point - Ketchup is easily obtainable here, not so the spicy sauce HP and Daddies sold in the UK.
Maybe gravy mix, custard powder and/or curry powder may be worth taking?
(all dependent on your personal tastes of course!)

#47223 - 03/21/04 06:48 AM Re: food
The_Keeper_at_Home Offline

Loc: Madrid
When I came over in January, I brought marmite, Colman's English mustard, Farrow's Marrowfat Peas and Heinz Baked beans. Things I wish I'd brought include some of those nice home made style sausages from the larger supermarket chains but all in all the food here is great and you won't go hungry.

Everything you KNOW is wrong.

#47224 - 05/15/04 08:40 AM Re: food
Skunk Offline

Hi, Umm you are moving to Spain and you think you'll miss English food lol lol lol, let me say that you are going to be able to enjoy one of the best and most healthy cuisines in the world.
Don't get angry for this comment I was just making some fun about Brit food ;-)
You wont have problems finding HP!!! just go to any supermarket big enought.I am really not trying to offend any British guy, but English food is known in Spain as a nightmare,let spanish flavours conquer your stomach for ever, if you are just a little open minded you won't be disapointed, trust me.

#47225 - 05/15/04 09:41 AM Re: food
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Skunk,
I think that you too need to take your own advice. Open your mind to the delicacies of British food. There's nothing quite like an English tea, slathering Devonshire cream on a hot from the oven scone is fantastic!

Also, keep in mind that people are creatures of habit. Imagine living without your churros and chocolate and the café? Unthinkable. Food is a cultural expression of comfort, and while I prefer not to eat marmite, I can understand the comfort that Marmite must bring to someone used to eating it daily.

I found that the Corte Ingles seem to carry an excellent selection of international foods,BUT, at a very high price.

Buen Provecho, ya'll!
Booklady, a woman who loves her food, and whose food loves her!

#47226 - 05/15/04 01:00 PM Re: food
Skunk Offline

I agree with you Booklady we all should be open minded, I really love English tea (I don't drink coffe) and of coruse you have delicius dishes, but you in my opinion that if you are a food lover is not comparable all the delicatesen you have in UK to the spanishs ones, as I recognice as a music lover that Brit music is so so good as I'd like to be the spanish music but unfortunally nowadays is imposible to compare The Stone Roses, Rolling Stones, Spiritualized etc etc etc... with La Macarena or Julio Iglesias and your lovely and huge parks with El Retiro althougt I am madrileño and I really love this park and all the great moments that I had there.
But basically I was just kidding a little bit and if someone has feel bad for my joke in some way I said sorry.
Cheers

#47227 - 05/15/04 01:35 PM Re: food
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
One item you might miss, although I don't know if the British use it... but without a doubt, extremely American...peanut butter. Almost impossible to find in Spain. Many years ago I did find it (in Woolworths, just gives you an idea how long ago that was!)...but no where near the quality (now that's a ludicrous statement if ever I have heard) of the American.

When my students ask what they may miss the most...peanut butter always comes to mind. All the other items can be found...and even some of the Spanish equivalents are tolerable (ie: cream cheese), but peanut butter, no.

My students didn't believe me. Everytime I went to Spain and they knew I would be in the area, I would get frantic messages from them asking if I would bring it over.

Sheryl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments