Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47210 - 04/14/04 01:20 AM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Glad you made it back with all of your food! Sounds like they didn't hassle you too much. We just finished the last of our mazapan from the last trip frown

#47211 - 01/24/05 04:38 AM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
sincopated Offline

Loc: New York
I know this message is kinda outdated, but in case anyone still has doubts, I flew to New York this past Christmas with a 1/2 kilo shrink-wrapped manchego and 1/2 kilo shrink-wrapped idiazabal (sp?) - along with some polvorones (again, sealed in plastic) and some turron. The problem isn't leaving Spain - Spain could care less what you're leaving with in my experience. The problem rests in the destination country.

I felt guilty playing ignorant and not declaring I had food on my customs form (plus, what if they randomly asked me and saw that I didn't declare anything yet had food in my bag??) so I checked the box that said "food". At JFK airport, the customs guy outside baggage claim asked me if i had food, to which I said "yup, just some cookies and stuff" and held up a small shopping bag w/ the polvorones/turron. The cheese was tucked away in my checked luggage. I smiled, he smiled, didn't ask anymore questions and waved me on.

So my advice: don't lie, but don't give 'em any more info than they need smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1940 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments