Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47200 - 03/04/04 04:12 PM Declaring food re-entering in the US?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
What exactly are the rules for food items we are supposed to declare when re-entering the US? I know that certain food items (chorizo) are definately not allowed to be brought into the US. However, technically are we supposed to declare ALL food items brought in? So, if we simply buy saffron, a couple of bottles of wine, candy, etc... are we supposed to declare these? If so, are there long lines? Are all of your bags searched or can you just keep the food items in one small bag so it can be quickly reviewed?

#47201 - 03/04/04 04:55 PM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
It is all food. The signs in the customs area are very clear on this. They send you to a separate x-ray machine run by the USDA and ask what it is you have. Once in a while they ask you to see it. It usually takes less than 5 minutes.

#47202 - 03/05/04 02:17 PM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Mongo-

Thanks for the response. I've been super lucky in the past - brought back food items (nothing that wouldn't be allowed) and never declared. I was under the totally incorrect perception that I didn't need to declare unless it was a "questionable" item. I'm usually a follow by the rules person so will definately declare from now on.

Does anyone know the rules regarding what types of cheeses can be brought in?

#47203 - 03/07/04 12:33 PM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
You can bring in any type of cured cheese that is in its original casing. So, for example, you can bring in a wheel of Manchego, but you cannot bring in queso de burgos or "queso fresco". I don´t think you can bring in cut cheese. I believe it must be the entire wheel.

I bring in cheese everytime I return to the States and never have a problem (last time back was October, 2003). I declare it on my customs form as a food product and then have it ready for inspection as I go through customs. The customs agents merely look at it to ensure that it´s in casing and then give me the sign-off to pass through. Very quick and painless process. wink

I know I had posted an inquiry of this nature before, probably about 2 years ago. A search of this site will yield more detailed responses and other helpful government links. smile

#47204 - 03/17/04 01:21 AM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
When I came back from Spain I brought back candy (turron, mazapan, almond candies) and spices (saffron and a dry spice mix for pinchos). I declared them and customs did not even ask me to open my bag. eek I did have to put it on a special conveyor belt that probably sent it through a scanner of some sort. My dad travels back and forth to Spain quite a bit, and he says customs is almost never interested in "dry" food. They are interested in "moist" food - meat, fruit, raw cheese...

#47205 - 03/17/04 12:45 PM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Thanks everyone. I feel so stupid for not declaring in the past even though most of the stuff I brought back would have been fine.

As far as cheeses go, would a soft cheese like Cabrales or tetilla pass or is that a must buy in the US cheese?

I'm getting hungry just thinking about this. laugh

#47206 - 03/26/04 01:17 PM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
If you try to bring some Cabrales back, the whole plane will smell like it. Now that I think about it, is that a bad thing or a good thing? laugh

#47207 - 03/26/04 06:28 PM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
scubamozart Offline

I just returned from Spain on Tuesday with several bottles of wine. I declared them, but customs did not x-ray my bag.

#47208 - 04/06/04 05:19 PM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
a few years ago I went nuts and brought back a raft of chorizo in my bag. I declared it, and it was confiscated of course, all of it, every last bit. Since then, I am always asked specifically about chorizo at customs arriving in the USA!!! I think they keep a chorizo list, lol.

#47209 - 04/13/04 04:48 PM Re: Declaring food re-entering in the US?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Well, I'm back. Took your advise and declared my 3 bottles of olive oil and 2 jars of pate. There wasn't a line at agriculture but they did make me scan ALL of my luggage (although I had packed the food in one bag). rolleyes An they also opened and checked the contents of my bag with the food.

I know that many people bring back food but there are hardly any people that declared from out plane.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments