Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47144 - 02/19/04 12:38 AM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
nevado Offline

That's the bike shop I used to use; at the time it was on Francisco Silvela...what good news! The guys were very nice and inexpensive!

#47145 - 02/20/04 03:20 PM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
sakko: See my journal from the pilgrimage to get a clearer idea of the route we took. I have family in Valcarlos, Navarra, so we started there, about 3km from the French border. We followed the traditional Camino Francés from there [not the walking path the whole way, though].

As for bike shops, we didn't need one. I'm a novice mechanic, and my buddy Greg worked in a bike shop for years in high school and college. In fact, we didn't even have a flat tire on the camino. I have a couple of camino books that outline where bike shops are, though. You're never really too far away from one.

Let me know if you have questions. One more thing: If you're going in June, be prepared to be bumped at the albergues. Bikers play second-fiddle to walkers, who are more abundant in summer. We went in May and had no trouble except on a rainy day in Logroño.

What really gets my goat is that walkers will take the bus to the next town, get off a few kms. in before the albergue, and then waltz in like they walked the whole day. EVERYONE knows they're total phonies, but the albergues never ask. Meanwhile, you busted your hump trying to scale the Puero del Perdón and this guy next to you was on the Scania 5000 in the back seat getting some shuteye! mad

#47146 - 03/27/04 09:35 PM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
Juana la Loca Offline

Loc: Aurora IL
No, no!!! You can get killed.... they drive really crazy there... It would be dangerous. Besides, there is so much transportation there.

#47147 - 04/02/04 08:50 PM Re: Madrid: taking my bike?
RennerLKO Offline

Loc: Oregon USA
Riding a bike in Madrid will most likely elevate you to the status of hood ornament. Even the mopeds were outclassed by the legally blind cab and bus drivers.
Unless you got Real Big ones, keep your bike on the dirt outside of town.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments