MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4676 - 09/29/02 10:03 AM Re: Bed and Breakfast
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I've often wished for a real B&B-type place in Spain, because I (like many Americans, no doubt) really NEED breakfast (and a pastry and cup of coffee won't really do it for me!). My two largest meals are breakfast and dinner--just the opposite of how Spanish people eat! I can get used to Spanish-style eating habits, but it always takes me a few days.

I loved staying in paradores for just this reason--the breakfasts were nice, and I didn't leave the place in the morning wishing for a bowl of Cheerios. I don't know that it's worth the extra Euros--but it sure made me happy!

#4677 - 09/29/02 10:36 AM Re: Bed and Breakfast
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I too have stayed at one or two hotels which served full breakfasts included in their price so I wouldn't call them a "B&B" as they're not the quaint, family-home-turned-inn kind of lodging establishment.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#4678 - 09/29/02 09:07 PM Re: Bed and Breakfast
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Just out of curiosity would a Fonda be the closest concept to a Bed & breakfast in Spain?
Or, a régimen de alojamiento y desayuno establishment? I have seen both.

#4679 - 10/01/02 08:23 AM Re: Bed and Breakfast
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Yes, booklady, fondas could be the nearest concept to a bed & breakfast though they used to offer also lunch and dinner. I say "used to" because you won't find many nowadays in Madrid. In fact, I don't know any.

"Régimen de alojamiento y desayuno" is usually heard in hotels. They offer "alojamiento y desayuno" (bed & breakfast), "media pensión" (half-board) and "pensión completa" (full-board).

In Spain very few hostels give breakfast and, of course, don't expect them to be the yummy buffets you can find in some hotels.

By the way, it's curious to me that after living for 6 months in England 3 years ago, none of the 3 different families I lived with had an English breakfast.

#4680 - 10/05/02 11:51 PM Re: Bed and Breakfast
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
We stayed at a WONDERFUL place in El Puerto De Santa María that served a continental breakfast named Casa Nº6. It was the nicest Hostal we encountered during our entire trip!!! The family that runs it is kind and helpful, and the place was clean and gorgeous!!! Also, we had a nice continental breakfast at the Hotel Continental in Barcelona.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments