Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46698 - 04/14/02 03:55 PM Art Galleries: Madrid/Seville?
camellia Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
My husband and I are going to Madrid, Seville and Granada at the end of April-early May. Rather than buy a bunch of junk we won't use for more than a few years, we would like a really nice "souvenir" from our trip, preferably a nice painting. Does anyone know of a good art gallery, or even a street with a group of art galleries, in Madrid, Seville or Granada?

BTW, our taste is more traditional than modern (but we are openminded!), and we would be looking to spend around $500 USD, but might pay more for something really fabulous. When we were in San Francisco a few years ago, we saw some really wonderful still lifes by a Spanish artist, but they were very expensive (around $10,000!!). This is the kind of thing we had in mind, just hopefully at a MUCH better price!

#46699 - 04/14/02 06:12 PM Re: Art Galleries: Madrid/Seville?
nevado Offline

In Madrid there's a pocket of galleries and antique shops in the barrio Salamanca around c/Goya/Valazquez/Claudio Coello etc. You can find listings in the "Guia de Ocio" (a weekly publication for sale at newsstands). I've never purchased anything so I can't help you on prices, sorry.

#46700 - 04/14/02 06:22 PM Re: Art Galleries: Madrid/Seville?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
If you're looking for original art (which I think you are), I can't help you, as when in Spain, I'm too busy looking at dead people's art to seek out galleries of the living...

However, if priceless works of art are your thing, and you don't mind having a print, they do have very large prints, attached to canvas and ready for framing, at the Prado gift shop. I realize that this might not be up your alley, but it wasn't mine either, until I first fell in love with Velazquez's "Las Meninas" and Goya "Perro Semihundido" and bought the largest prints I could find of the two. The next time I'm in town with $$$, I'm planning on picking up some El Greco prints, as his work is "sin par".

Of course option 3 would be (aside from the most dangerous) the cheapest: Pay your entry to the Prado, wait until the guards aren't looking and stuff a Goya under your skirt...

#46701 - 04/15/02 10:49 PM Re: Art Galleries: Madrid/Seville?
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
For a decent traditional painting you could get one in the plaza mayor and probably even choose what you want for probably no more than 100-200 US$ although talent varies significantly.

Suerte,

Chris

#46702 - 04/16/02 12:09 PM Re: Art Galleries: Madrid/Seville?
camellia Offline

Thanks for the replies. We are hoping to find an original piece that we like, so we will check out the galleries in Salamanca and the artists in Mayor. The problem (which CaliBasco hits upon) is that buying an original work is often a difficult compromise after having viewed the works of the masters.

I am particularly intrigued by CaliBasco's option No. 3, but I think I'm gonna need a bigger skirt!

#46703 - 04/17/02 06:40 AM Re: Art Galleries: Madrid/Seville?
nevado Offline

You could always go dressed as La Infanta Margarita! That would fit something quite impressive.

#46704 - 04/17/02 07:15 AM Re: Art Galleries: Madrid/Seville?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
About art galleries in Madrid....

I guess in the Salamanca district you can find the more expensive and well-known ones, but around Huertas street (across from the Prado Museum), there are several smaller ones. I live there and it's one of the things I adore about the area!

I would like to know if anybody has had any experience returning home(the US) with a work of art like that; was there any problem in customs at all?

#46705 - 04/17/02 10:17 AM Re: Art Galleries: Madrid/Seville?
camellia Offline

I have not done it yet, but I read on the US customs website that "fine art" and antiques over 100 yrs. old are not dutiable. "Folk art" and handicrafts are.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments