Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#46495 - 11/22/02 12:40 PM Re: Cigars in Madrid?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Booklady wrote:
Quote:
For ladies who enjoy an Habanero there is also a good informative site called Cigar Woman, for women who love cigars!
"Cigar Woman", eh? And I suppose Monica Lewinsky is their Cover Girl? hehehehe.. (sorry, couldn't resist. I know. I know. "That's SO played out!" rolleyes )

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#46496 - 11/22/02 08:33 PM Re: Cigars in Madrid?
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
I usually bring back a box of Farias. Best bang for the buck. MadridManīs "Don Julianīs" are the Swisher Sweets of the cigar rack. No offense intended, naturally.

#46497 - 11/22/02 10:34 PM Re: Cigars in Madrid?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
MadridManīs "Don Julianīs" are the Swisher Sweets of the cigar rack.
WHAT???!!! eek REALLY??!!!! rolleyes Are you serious?! They aren't all that cheap!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#46498 - 11/24/02 03:30 PM Re: Cigars in Madrid?
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
I must ask why is the Best cigars and the Best Ham in the world illegal to bring to the US??? Why is Spanish ham illegel to bring to the US anyone now its alot better then the American food "no affence guys".

#46499 - 11/24/02 07:07 PM Re: Cigars in Madrid?
Espe3 Offline

Q- the ham isn't allowed because its an agricultural/meats thing. Most countries forbid plant and animal products because of problems of disease. You may have studied the impact of the Dutch Elm disease in History class...if not, ask your History or Science teacher.

There are still countries that have been very sheltered and importing a plant that may have a disease can be potentially devistating... also importing an animal (live) like they did rabbits in Australia what disasterous because it disrupted the natural ecology. There rabbits didn't have any natural preditors and since rabbits reproduce VERY rapidly, it was havoic on the crops... believe it or not and caused a domino effect, leaving other animals and people hungry. As far as meat products, well, cured or not, remember reading or hearing about mad cow disease?! Different countries have different ways of treating and processing foods, some are cleaner and more sanitary than others... this can cause potential bacteria and other nasty critters to grow where you don't want them, and again, be detrimental to an ecology. Its also true that certain places simply don't have immunity to certain diseases, or natural preditors to certain insects or creatures- all of which could be very disruptive to the food chain- so better to keep these organisms out to begin with.

The cigars is a different story. That has to do with Americas embargo on Cuba. Just like legally we're not supposed to visit, we're not supposed to import anything from there. Until it changes, it will be illegal to have cuban cigars here :p

Or, if you like, its a conspiracy for the American government to:
A. Encourage americans to broaden their horizons and travel.
B. Deprive us of the better things in life.

You choose! wink

#46500 - 11/25/02 11:21 AM Re: Cigars in Madrid?
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
just 1 clarifiction espe3...it is NOT illegal to have cuban cigars here...only the act of importation is illegal...because there are legal ways to bring them in, mere possession is not illegal...
i've gotten them past customs and then sat outside the airport and smoked them...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments