Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46309 - 06/08/01 02:41 PM Where to buy mantones/ spanish shawls?
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A few weeks ago, I went to a Spanish wedding and a friend of the family wore a beautiful embroidered spanish shawl over a simple black dress - what an impression, it looked gorgeous! Anyway, I asked her where she got it and how much... she said that she got it at El Corte Ingles in Vigo (Galicia) for a whopping 70 000 ptas!!! eek eek
I know that these mantones/shawls are typically seen on flamenco dancers and therefore think that it might be cheaper if I bought one somewhere in Andalucia. I'm going to be in Sevilla, Cordoba, and Ronda this summer - does anyone know where I can buy a NICE embroidered shawl for a relatively cheaper price? confused
I searched on the net and found pictures of ones that I find very nice, although these don't compare to the one I saw at the wedding! Here's the website address: http://www.trianaimports.com/mantones.htm

Any help would be appreciated!

SusiLaGallega

#46310 - 06/08/01 10:15 PM Re: Where to buy mantones/ spanish shawls?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I don't know where you can buy a mantón in Andalucía, but if you go a little farther north, you can buy a beautiful one for a fraction of El Corte Inglés 's price in the small town of Lagartera, which is completely dedicated to embroidery. I bought 2 there in 1992 - one for me, a large, black, exquisitely embroidered mantón for 10000 pts, and another adorable little one for my young daughter for an unbelievable 3500 pts. Mantónes similar to mine were selling at the time for about 30000 pts in the Corte Inglés. Of course, they are not made of silk (neither were the ones in el C. I. - the silk ones are even more expensive), but you can't tell without close inspection. They are all hand-embroidered in the town (THE place to buy embroidered tablecloths, too). Lagartera is about 38 km west of Talavera de la Reina along the A-5 highway, just past Oropesa. The lady I bought them from told me she had recently sold several white ones for a wedding, and they were the talk of the town. I took a look at the website you mentioned, and my mantón looks like the black one filled with many multicolored flowers, but I think mine is even prettier!
Good luck!

[ 06-08-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#46311 - 06/12/01 01:06 PM Re: Where to buy mantones/ spanish shawls?
SusiLaGallega Offline

Thank-you for your suggestion, Diana, but since my time in Andalucia is tight, I doubt I will be able to visit the town you mention. frown I will have to check around the cities I mentioned above and hopefully will find something - otherwise I'll just have to go back in the future and make some time to go to Lagartera - that's a good excuse, don't you think? laugh wink cool

SusiLaGallega

#46312 - 06/12/01 09:54 PM Re: Where to buy mantones/ spanish shawls?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi Susi-

I know you didn't mention it, but are you considering going to Granada at all during your stay in Spain? I can tell you that there are several very nice lace stores near the cathedral (if you're facing it, you'd want to go to the left, not the right where all the souvenir stores are). I'm sure you'd be able to find some very nice shawls there for a cheaper price.

In Madrid, just off of the Plaza Mayor (I don't know the street names there, but if you turn up the street w/ McDonalds on the corner, I think it's Calle Mayor), there's a very nice store just before you enter into the Plaza on your left, they have all kinds of flamenco dresses and outfits there, and I believe I saw some shawls there too--I came VERY close to buying a whole flamenco dress, except every time we went by this store they were closed!!

I'm not sure how much they'd normally go for, but you should also take into account that as a non-EU citizen, you will be getting your VAT tax back, so that should be a nice amount of money...

#46313 - 06/13/01 09:01 AM Re: Where to buy mantones/ spanish shawls?
SusiLaGallega Offline

Thanks for the suggestions, GranadaGirl! Unfortunately (or fortunately!), I AM an EU citizen, so there will be no refund for me! I would love to go back to Granada (I studied there for a month 4 years ago and LOVED it!), but time constraints don't allow me to. I will try to find the store you mentioned in Madrid and see how the prices are there. Otherwise, as I mentioned before, I will have to make a trip back to Granada in the near future, which I plan to do either way!!!

SusiLaGallega

#46314 - 06/16/01 12:04 AM Re: Where to buy mantones/ spanish shawls?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Susi-

Let me know how that store is if you make it there. It's pretty small, but it looked fairly 'authentic' from the outside. The prices didn't look too bad either for the flamenco skirts, so hopefully the scarves aren't too bad either!!

Suerte,
Denise

#46315 - 06/16/01 03:50 AM Re: Where to buy mantones/ spanish shawls?
nevado Offline

There are two more stores you may want to try as well (if you have time, of course). The first is in Sol, just next to the back entrance of the Corte Ingles in Sol. They have tons of dresses so I imagine they'd have mantones too. The other is a ways away but cheaper than any other Flamenco store I've been to. It's very small so I can't guarantee their selection but the ladies are extremely sweet and helpful (no Credit cards, cash only). The name is Camino del Rocio and it's near the Quintana metro stop (green line #5), exit Virgen del Sagrario (on a tiny street just next to the Corte Ingles). The actual address is c/ Elfo, 78, posterior tel. 91 367 86 55.

#46316 - 06/20/01 07:21 PM Re: Where to buy mantones/ spanish shawls?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Thanks, Diana. A mantón sounds like the perfect gift for our older son's girlfriend. And we'll be traveling from Toledo to Trujillo to Segovia in September. (I hope!) It looks like Lagartera wouldn't be far from our route.

#46317 - 06/20/01 08:32 PM Re: Where to buy mantones/ spanish shawls?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I bought what I'd have to call a "half mantón" for my son's girlfriend in Ronda for about 3800 ptas. It is all black (easier, I thought, for her to match things with...though the ones with red flowers are amazing!) It is all silk and handmade in VALENCIA of all places! The "full mantón"...a large square you fold in half as opposed to just the triangle...was about twice that price. Check out some of those little touristy places...sometimes they are full of surprises!

#46318 - 06/22/01 10:03 AM Re: Where to buy mantones/ spanish shawls?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
If you're in Sevilla you can definately get one from any of the numerous small shops selling "traditional" clothing in and around Calle Sierpes (sure to be cheaper than El Corte Ingles).

Here's one.. http://www.sierpes.com/foronda/index.htm

The web site quotes a price of 10,750 ptas for a manton (shawl) hand-embroidered in silk.

[ 06-22-2001: Message edited by: El Boqueron ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments