Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#46290 - 07/07/01 06:24 PM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
The Spanish government is having all of the cheapest olive oil which is made from the skin of olives (called orujo) removed from store shelves because of a concern that it might contain carcinogens.
There is absolutely no problem with the better qualities (such as Virgin or Extra Virgen).

#46291 - 07/12/01 11:18 AM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
marianne Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Hi, everyone. I just wanted to mention re this topic that I learned on a recent visit to Spain that if buying olive oil to look for a number on the bottle which indicates acidity. You want a low number, definitely a 3 or less! The number 1 indicates Extra Virgin, although some that I purchased are labeled extra virgin and show a number 3, indicating 3% acidity. However, the lower the number the better. Hope this helps! ( I love Pan con Tomate, with the drizzle of good olive oil.)

#46292 - 07/12/01 01:40 PM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I's not all that hard to determine the quality of olive oil. Take a sip. If it turns your throat to flame, don't buy it.
Cantabene

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1584 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments