Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46253 - 04/26/01 08:47 AM Chess sets--anybody seen nice ones in Spain?
MattC Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Howdy Folks,

My brother is a big chess player and has heard from some friends that there can be nice chess sets to be had in Spain.

Anybody run across any nice wooden chess sets in your travels? Where would I be most likely to find a good set?

Thanks!

#46254 - 04/26/01 08:52 AM Re: Chess sets--anybody seen nice ones in Spain?
James Offline

Loc: London
Try the gifts section of the Corte Ingles department store - there's a branch in every Spanish city. The layout of the stores is always the same and you'll find the gifts section on the ground floor. I've never looked at the chess sets very closely though so I can't tell you if they're any good or not.

#46255 - 04/26/01 11:12 AM Re: Chess sets--anybody seen nice ones in Spain?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi MattC! I recall seeing MANY chess sets around Spain - mainly in the tourist shops - made of marble. I can't say I've ever seen them made of wood. Sure you could pick up a cheaper one at El Rastro (the Sunday flea market) in Madrid, but they're literally everywhere in the cities and of all sizes/prices.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#46256 - 04/26/01 11:55 AM Re: Chess sets--anybody seen nice ones in Spain?
Sol Offline

Regarding your specific request about wood chess sets:

If you will be visiting the Alhambra in Granada, there is a shop on the grounds specializing in parquetry – Recuerdo de Granada, Artesania Granadina, Hecho a Mano, Miguel Laguna, Real de La Alahambra, 30 – it is near the parador.

They have two grades of goods, the more expensive uses bone (ivory) in the design(s). The goods run the gamut from coasters, trays to traveling chess sets (in various sizes), and larger items. The items are manufactured on or near the grounds. I don’t specifically recall tabletop chess sets but there were so many items offered for sale that I might just have overlooked/forgotten about them.

Talk to the staff in the shop and they will tell you how the items are made.

Perhaps with the above information you can obtain a local phone number in order to make inquiries.

You will also see examples of these goods at El Corte Ingles, though I think buying them at the Alhambra will only increase their keepsake value.

#46257 - 04/26/01 06:19 PM Re: Chess sets--anybody seen nice ones in Spain?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi Matt,

I don't know what kind of chess sets they sell at La Casa del Ajedrez , but with this name I'm sure at least they'll have something that your brother will find interesting.

Regards,

Antonio

#46258 - 04/27/01 06:38 AM Re: Chess sets--anybody seen nice ones in Spain?
MattC Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
Thanks for the help guys! That chess shop in Madrid should be perfect.

#46259 - 04/29/01 08:20 PM Re: Chess sets--anybody seen nice ones in Spain?
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I brought back a small chess set last year, it was made of glass, the pieces were half clear and half frosted. The board was also in the same design. This cost me 1000pts, but there were some a lot bigger. There were also lots of beautiful designs in wood costing around 5000pts. These were found in many of the tourist type gift shops. Hope you have success in your search.

#46260 - 04/30/01 12:31 AM Re: Chess sets--anybody seen nice ones in Spain?
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Last year when visiting friends in Spain we saw in their home a chess set and the pieces were composed of "Moros y Cristianos". It was a great set!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments