Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#46032 - 10/05/00 07:17 PM Pagers?
Alana Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Hey everyone!
Does anyone know anything about renting pagers in Madrid? Also, how do you say pager in spanish?
Thanks!!!!
Alana

#46033 - 10/05/00 07:43 PM Re: Pagers?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
A pager is called "busca personas" in Spanish, though most people call it just "busca".

But I wouldn't advice renting one.

I'm not sure about this but I think the pager network was operated by Telefónica only and it remains the same.

Also, you would rent the pager and pay a fixed amount of money every month. You had to send the message by calling to a call centre and talk with an operator. It was a toll free number.

The system now is different. I think you have to buy the pager and then send the messages through the call center. The problem is that they have changed the phone number and it's not a free number anymore. Now you have to dial a 902 number which is quite expensive (more than a local call).

With so many cell phones, very few people use a pager now. You can send short text messages to a cell phone for free from many Spanish websites or from another cell phone. The latter cost about 25 pesetas / message, but it's still cheaper than calling a 902 number and tell your message to the operator.

In my opinion, it'd be better if you could rent / buy a cell phone.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments