Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45576 - 01/18/07 12:09 PM Sevilla
gfreemanaz Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I am planning a trip to Spain this summer with my family, which includes two teenagers. We plan to spend at least 2-3 weeks in one spot taking language classes. Sevilla, where I haven't traveled to for almost 30 years, is a place we're considering as it's close to other things we want to experience. Is it just too hot & touristy during the summer? We've also thought about Cantabria & Asturias which I know is less touristy & certainly cooler, but I'm afraid it may be a bit too rural for teens looking for more action. Is Santander a good choice? Is there a decent language school there to consider?

Thanks for any guidance!

#45577 - 01/18/07 01:20 PM Re: Sevilla
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I would highly recommend going to the north in the summmertime. Just as you mentioned, the heat is a problem in Andalucía. I can recommend The Delta Language School in Santander. A very good friend of mine, who is a language teacher, has taken classes with them for 3 summers in a row.

Another school that is very well respected is Lacunza Escuela Internacional which seems very good!
San Sebastian and Santander are both great cities. Also, there will be fewer Americans there so you will be forced to speak more Spanish. :jump:

#45578 - 01/18/07 01:21 PM Re: Sevilla
Lonoma Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain.
Yes, Sevilla is too hot in summer for language classes and teenagers (!!), unless you can find an apartment with swimming pools and gardens for your stay in Sevilla. But even, on Sundays at that time, the city is deserted as everyone is out at beaches or mountains.

In my opinion you ‘d consider some Spanish courses 1 hour from Sevilla, by the sea, in Sanlúcar de Barrameda (Cádiz), el Puerto or Cádiz city.. Check this site http://www.valcia.es/

If your option is northern Spain, I’d bet for Santander: animated, touristy and cooler in summer.

#45579 - 01/18/07 04:48 PM Re: Sevilla
gfreemanaz Offline

Thank you for your prompt response. I checked out the Valcia website. They state there that cater to the over 30 crowd -- could be a bit too old for the teens. I'll inquire, however. I will check further into Santander too. If anyone has any ideas about language classes and accommodations in Santander, I'd love to hear from you.

#45580 - 01/19/07 10:40 AM Re: Sevilla
nevado Offline

I vote for Cadiz or Santiago de Compostela, in Galica. Santander has my vote as well but it will be more expensive than Cadiz. I went to the University in Cadiz (city) one summer and had a wonderful time...it's surrounded by water and beaches and just the right size to keep you entertained. There are train connections to Sevilla/Cordoba and a beautiful coast to explore.

#45581 - 01/19/07 11:20 AM Re: Sevilla
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Add one more vote for Cadiz - especially with a couple of teenagers - beach, good surf, etc.

#45582 - 01/19/07 12:42 PM Re: Sevilla
gfreemanaz Offline

Thank you for your thoughtful comments! One last question -- is Barcelona (although Catalan is spoken there) another good place to look at for my purposes?

#45583 - 01/19/07 12:58 PM Re: Sevilla
Lonoma Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain.
I know that in El Puerto (Cádiz) there are English summer schools (www.tecs.es). I did a search and find this for Spanish courses:
http://www.spanishsummercamp.com
http://www.trinitylanguageschool.com/

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2465 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments