MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#45552 - 12/07/06 07:59 AM Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I was wondering if anyone had any information about St. Louis University in Madrid ? One of my students is very interested in attending the 4 year program! (I wish I had known about this program way back when!) Does anyone know anyone who attended this program and/or graduated from the Madrid campus?

She also told me that Suffolk University in Madrid has a program in Madrid as well. So, does anyone know anything about these programs?

#45553 - 12/07/06 10:53 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
SRedw Offline

Suffolk University is only a two year program, while St. Louis University is a 4 year program and when the student graduates from St. Louis University, his or her degree will be valid both in Spain and the US.

St. Louis is very expensive, while I think that Suffolk is cheaper.

That's all of the information that I have about the two, but please encourage the student to email both, get information and make a comparison.

Study abroad is always a good thing and I have a friend who's doing her full 4 years in Spain at St. Louis doing her BA in Spanish. SHe likes it a lot.

Shawn

#45554 - 12/07/06 06:42 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Esperanza, I think this may be a newer program at Saint Louis. I have occasionally kept in touch with one of my profas from SLU, and several years ago she encouraged me to tell my interested students about a new program where the students could spend two years in Spain and two in St. Louis. So, unless she just neglected to tell me about this program, I think it's a relatively new one.

As for enjoying SLU, I loved it and I know my former students who have gone there (for a semester) have also loved it. I think all of us would say that it was really challenging (the profs don't let you off the hook just because you're there for a semester) but really enjoyable and a good experience. I learned a lot while I was there and I really liked the profs I had.

I think it's fantastic that students have the opportunity to spend two years or more over there and receive the same degree from SLU. The SLU tuition was expensive compared to Spanish schools (which, from what I understand, are very inexpensive like many US state schools can be), but it certainly wasn't Harvard-priced. And, I think they offer scholarships for both campuses.

Hope that helps a little!

#45555 - 12/07/06 07:02 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Quote:
The SLU tuition was expensive compared to Spanish schools (which, from what I understand, are very inexpensive like many US state schools can be)
For comparison, Complutense (a public university) costs about 600 Euros per year for a full course load (5-6 classes per semester)...

#45556 - 12/08/06 09:05 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
SRedw Offline

la hisoriadora,

This program is fairly new (SLU), I think less than 5 years old. It is a wonderful opportunity, and if the student wants to study in Spain, a great way t do it by completing all four years in Spain.

If people are more interested in Latin America, I know, too, that another cheap option is Universidad de Puerto Rico. When I went there, undergrad credits were $30/hr. and grad was $75/hr (1998 - 1999) and since it a part of the US, financial aid was no problem. I started my MA in linguistics there and got a free ride. It was a very good experience.

#45557 - 12/08/06 04:18 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Many thanks for your input Shawn, the historiadora and madridmadridmadrid! My student is very interested in St. Louis program and hearing your thoughts is very helpful.

#45558 - 12/10/06 01:48 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
SRedw Offline

Esperanza,

We are here to help. I hope that the student makes the best choice that will suit her and meet her educational goals.

Saludos,

Shawn

#45559 - 12/14/06 11:26 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
Torero Offline

Loc: Iowa
I am currently a grad student at the SLU Madrid campus in their summer program. As for undergrad programs, all SLU students can attend the campus in Madrid just as if it were the campus in Missouri. Spanish majors have the option of attending the Madrid campus for all 4 years, while most other majors can complete 2 years in Madrid and then finish their degree in Saint Louis. The tuition is the same for both campuses, although housing costs may differ. There are two dormitories on the SLU campus in Madrid and they also offer the option of staying with a host family. Since I am a grad student, I only have professors in the Spanish department and I don't think many of them teach the undergrad courses. But I can attest that it is a very good experience, the campus is located in a great area near the Complutense and I have enjoyed my summers as a student there. If you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them. Good luck.

#45560 - 12/14/06 12:47 PM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
SRedw Offline

Torero,

Thanks for the student response. It's always good to get a first hand experience. I agree that it is in an ideal neighorhood which is nice and quiet and great for study.

Have a great day,

Shawn

#45561 - 01/15/07 07:42 AM Re: Saint Louis University in Madrid
jlnastal Offline

Loc: Madrid
I'm a current grad student in English/instructor and have had a great experience at SLU Madrid. I would be happy to put you in contact with the head of Student Life or provide anyone with more information about the campus/school - just let me know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2429 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments