Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#45455 - 04/29/06 10:51 PM Spanish slang?
Bindi Offline

Loc: Healdsburg, CA
Hi there! I've never been to Spain, but I have a question for anyone Spanish and/or anyone familiar with Spanish slang, specifically used by people 20-30 years old. I am a fiction writer and one of the characters in the book I'm working on is from Spain. He's based on someone I knew once, but lost contact with, kind if a crazy guy. What I am wondering is, is there a Spanish slang for girlfriend? Also, is there a slang word for the drug ecstasy? And how would you say "angel of deliverence" in Spanish?
Lastly, I was wondering what pop stars a young hip urban Spanish guy might listen to? Someone who sings cool love songs?
Thanks for any help, and for anyone whose tips I use, I would be happy to mention you in the acknowledgements section of my book--I can work out getting your name later.
Thanks!
Bindi in California

#45456 - 04/30/06 06:51 AM Re: Spanish slang?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Novia (girlfriend): churri, ligue, rollo,...
Drug ecstasy: subidón
Angel of deliverence: I don't know what you mean rolleyes Is it the one who passes your character drugs? If so, in slang is camello.

Fernando

#45457 - 04/30/06 11:39 AM Re: Spanish slang?
Bindi Offline

Thanks, Fernando. Re: angel of deliverence, I was referring to something my character said to his girlfriend-- he called the ecstasy pill "angel of deliverence." I just don't know how to say it in Spanish.
Is there a slang word for Heaven?
Thanks again!
wave Bindi

#45458 - 04/30/06 02:21 PM Re: Spanish slang?
quique Offline

Loc: alcala de henares
Some other slang words

Girlfriend: Piba.

Bad trip: pillarse un amarillo.

Ecstasy pills: Pirulas, rulas. The pirulas are called depended on the drawing they have.

#45459 - 04/30/06 10:32 PM Re: Spanish slang?
La Artista Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
For the pop singer, Juanes is a really popular musician from Colombia. He's famous world-wide, though, and he sings some really good love songs.

http://www.juanes.net/index_english.htm

#45460 - 05/01/06 10:17 PM Re: Spanish slang?
meencantaespana Offline

Popular music-Juanes, Alex Ubago, Shakira is worldwide 2...i love ubago tho..pretty romantic..or david bisbal..he's pretty smooth and suave..

#45461 - 05/02/06 12:15 AM Re: Spanish slang?
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
I share everyone else's enthusiasm for Juanes and David Bisbal. There are so many others as well. My favorites include La Oreja de Van Gogh, Andy & Lucas, Jose Feliciano, Vikki Carr, Mana, Chayanne, Tizianno Ferro (who's actually Italian but sings beautifully in Spanish), Bacilios, Sin Bandera & Christian Castro. I could easily think of more. If you have access to Univision or Telefutura where you are at in Maine, they have on the weekends several interesting programs featuring both music videos and interviews with the artists in Spanish. Also on Wednesday nights "Don Francisco Presenta" always has one or two currently-popular acts performing on his show.

#45462 - 05/02/06 01:38 AM Re: Spanish slang?
Bindi Offline

Thanks everyone for all the great help! One other thing I'm wondering: how would you say something like, "I'm entering Heaven," in Spanish, or something similiar--when my character is starting to get high on ecstasy, I'm thinking he would say something like that. He's with a girlfriend when this happens, and they are in a bar.
Also, is there a slang,slightly derogatory name one might call a slutty girlfriend, especially one who does not know Spanish (and therefore wouldn't know what you are calling her). Something a little trashy, maybe? (She's a trashy girlfriend).
Thanks again for the help--invaluable!
Bindi

#45463 - 05/02/06 10:56 AM Re: Spanish slang?
quique Offline

Loc: alcala de henares
Maybe...(just maybe) for "I'm entering Heaven":

- Estoy en la gloria (more polite)
- Qué subidón más guapo (slang)
- Qué de puta madre (slang)

For trashy
- Guarrilla (the best)
- Zorra
- Puta, putilla.

#45464 - 05/02/06 11:11 AM Re: Spanish slang?
Bindi Offline

Cool. Thanks so much! Feel free to email me privately (that goes for anyone else who has assisted)with your name if you would like credit for the suggestions. I'm happy to include you in the acknowledgments.
Bindi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments