Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45406 - 03/22/06 01:34 PM Madrid: Program for Extranjeros at UCM & Colegios Mayores
jrdelar Offline

Hello all...

My friend and I are planning on taking the courses at UCM this summer for extranjeros. We are both teachers and we were looking to take the 4 week summer grad classes that involve methodology, culture, and a few other topics. We were going to go through an organization based out of the US but we figured out we could save money if we just signed up straight through Compultense. The problem is that there is a 12Euro charge to hold your spot and registration doesn't start until June 12, which we will then be in Italy.

I guess my biggest concern isn't exactly signing up for the courses because I think we will be able to do it when we get there a few weeks before the program starts but I was wondering if anyone had gone through the program before and what they did to sign up.

The BIGGEST problem is we dont have a place to stay....a lot of the apartments have a 3 month minimum and the colegios mayores (dorms) require an interview and other things that we won't be able to do since we are coming from across the ocean. Any ideas on where to stay? I know some hostels do extended stays but that can get pretty expensive. We are also a little concerned about laundry....Any ideas out there???

Sorry if that sounded confusing but I hope you were able to figure it out and you can help us!

#45407 - 03/22/06 03:21 PM Re: Madrid: Program for Extranjeros at UCM & Colegios Mayores
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi there! You might well find lodging information for students in the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" forum category but consider the Student Residences EASO @ http://www.EASO.net . They offer individual rooms for singles and some doubles too. They have pretty standard dormitory rules too but at least you can come and go as you please at any hour of the day/night. You're not allowed any electrical applicances but are allowed a computer and stereo. "No slamming of doors or loud music" says the rules page. laugh Check into it soon because it usually books out long in advance.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#45408 - 03/22/06 05:15 PM Re: Madrid: Program for Extranjeros at UCM & Colegios Mayores
Tullie Offline

Loc: Almachar, Malaga
Barcelona has Launderettes! where you can wash your own clothes, and most dry cleaning shops do kg loads of 'wet washing' which can alsobe ironed for you!

I suggest you look on the internet for bcn-metropolitan the English speaking magazine which has all kinds of ads for short term and long term accomodation, Good luck.

#45409 - 03/22/06 06:12 PM Re: Madrid: Program for Extranjeros at UCM & Colegios Mayores
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Carp: I think jrdelar is looking for student-like lodging in Madrid. But good suggestion for Barcelona! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#45410 - 03/23/06 06:43 AM Re: Madrid: Program for Extranjeros at UCM & Colegios Mayores
Tullie Offline

Loc: Almachar, Malaga
Oops silly me! Thanks for putting me straight.
What about something you have suggested before.... www.venamicasa.com ?

#45411 - 03/23/06 08:04 AM Re: Madrid: Program for Extranjeros at UCM & Colegios Mayores
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Good suggestion although I've YET to hear from anyone who's used www.VenAMiCasa.com . Plus, I'm not sure they have double rooms there. VenAMiCasa.com has rooms for rent in homes owned, usually, by families or singles who have extra space. I'd imagine this would be the closest thing to "real living" in Spain. And most of the rooms are CHEAP - starting at about 17 Euros per night and going up to, maybe, 30 Euros per night. They have rooms in Madrid, Barcelona, Granada, and many many other cities around Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments