Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45393 - 02/21/06 06:41 AM Homologation of US Studies
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
I have heard that it is at least a two year process to get a US university degree homologated here. And usually they make you do some additional coursework/study before approval is finally granted.
Anyone have any stories they'd like to share?
Any tricks/shortcuts to the process? Thanks.

#45394 - 02/22/06 12:12 PM Re: Homologation of US Studies
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
You've basically heard right, madridmanjim. And I'd say that, from beginning to end, two years would be pretty quick estimate.

It's a long process and patience is a key, but it can be done; I can personally vouch for that. But first, let me know what degree you have and what Spanish degree you are looking for, then I'll be able to tell you more.

#45395 - 02/22/06 08:40 PM Re: Homologation of US Studies
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I sent you a private message as well...

There's another, less time-consuming way to get a Spanish degree: convalidación.

The short story, you go to the facultad of a Spanish university that offers the degree you want, provide your transcript with an apostille and course descriptions (which must be translated into Spanish by a "traductor jurado"). You have to identify the classes in the Spanish curriculum and the equivalent class on your transcript. You will then need to finish up any required classes or credits that you can't "convalidar" at this Facultad (you cannot finish up your work at another university). How many classes you can convalidate depends on what type of major you had and how good your course descriptions are. Private universities will cut you more slack than public ones. For some degrees, you might be able to get a "pasarela" and go straight to the last two years of the carrera.

#45396 - 02/23/06 05:41 AM Re: Homologation of US Studies
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Maropista,

God don't tell me it was a lot quicker! I'll be knocking my head against the wall for days!! wink

Many of those steps are the same you have to do with the "homologación", and there are some snags with convalidation:

1) If the university doesn't validate enough of your subjects, then you have to start from the very beginning.

2) As I understand it, public universities require that you initiate the process through the ministry of education before they even look at your case. Then, once your case has been looked at a decision is made. If the accept the entire degree, then you're set. If you have to do additional coursework, you have then go back.

3) Also the ministry often requires that the completed coursework be done at a public school or one that is associated (adscrita) to university.

All I'm saying Madridmanjim is that you have to look at your case carefully and make sure you are taking the best route for you.

I can only tell you from my personal experience, but maybe there are quicker ways.

#45397 - 02/23/06 10:04 AM Re: Homologation of US Studies
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
About convalidación, I think it is quicker in cases where one doesn't really have any hope of getting a full homologación--as is the case with many Americans with liberal arts degrees--and has time to study full time. The reason being that you can take the classes that you know you can't convalidar while you are waiting (it's called matrícula condicional).

About #2... You do not have to apply for homologación before applying for a convalidación parcial or a full convalidación (at least you don't at Complutense). You do, however, have to sign a statement saying that you are not trying to homologar at the same time. A convalidación parcial happens within the Facultad. A full convalidación happens at the level of the vicerectorado de alumnos. At Complutense, you can't get a full convalidación for a licenciatura if you don't have a BA and Master's degree in the field that you are convalidating.

As you said, which route to take really depends on what you studied, how close your course of study was to the way things are done here, and how well you can document what you did.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1629 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments