Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#45378 - 02/19/06 07:05 PM fretting for college...
meencantaespana Offline

So, I am totally nervous for college. I know one thing for sure and that is that I want to be an interpreter. I want to study in Spain..I think Madrid. There are several universities that are American I could do all 4 years but I am also searching for a year abroad program..I need help..I mean I have been searching frantically all over. I am from Wisconsin if that helps but I really am stressed out and dont know what to do...Advice plz?

#45379 - 02/19/06 07:41 PM Re: fretting for college...
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I attended a program at the Complutense many years ago that was a consortium of three US universities Indiana University, Purdue Univ and Univ of Wisconsin Madison - (it was called WIP). There were LOTS of Wisc. students and some stayed 2 years getting UW credits with Complutense classes .. we had some problems with very specific requirements - I had to get special permission for an Islamic Geography class to count as a life science requirement if I remember correctly .. But if you are clear on your major and its requirements and do some research before you go then it shouldnt be too much of a problem. Good luck - Here is the address for the program guide - it has some emails and phone numbers http://www.indiana.edu/~overseas/programs/handbooks/madrid.pdf
The same lady is the program director as when I was there 10 years ago ...!!! Brings back good memories :-)

#45380 - 02/19/06 10:52 PM Re: fretting for college...
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Have you checked out Arcadia University and its Center for Education Abroad? http://www.arcadia.edu/cea/index.aspx?id=1680

I've visited Arcadia twice in the past 6 months and I'm very impressed. Lots of colleges use their study abroad program. It's worth a look.

#45381 - 02/19/06 11:17 PM Re: fretting for college...
Gretchen6 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
meencantaespana,

Are you currently attending a University? The University of Wisconsin Stevens Point has an excellent program in Spain. The price is right too since you would not even have to pay out of state tuition. In the past the program was in Madrid but it has moved to Valladolid. I am sure that there are other programs at several Universities. Just check it out and good luck.

#45382 - 02/20/06 06:07 PM Re: fretting for college...
meencantaespana Offline

I'm not in college yet. I was looking at cascadas response and that interested me but you have to have been in college for 2 years. i am interested in going right away abroad. i will check out uw-stevens point. as for arcadia, i really want to be in madrid and they surprisingly dont have a madrid program...anyone know anything about slu-madrid and their financial aid? i come from a single parent family and i am working a lot but i dont have nearly enough money..only thing is money holding me back there..

#45383 - 02/20/06 08:27 PM Re: fretting for college...
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I have lots of friends who attened SLU Madrid - and not one of them got financial aid ... I think it is pretty expensive and I dont think there is muh financial aid available.. But its always worth a try!

#45384 - 02/20/06 10:07 PM Re: fretting for college...
meencantaespana Offline

Are you serious? Wow..oh great..I am no idea what to do..

#45385 - 02/22/06 11:35 PM Re: fretting for college...
mse924 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA / Madrid, Españ...
meencantaespana,

Have you looked into Marquette University? I'm just finishing up my senior year here and they have two VERY good study abroad programs in Madrid (one at Complutense and one at ICADE), in addition to ones in San Sebastian, Cordoba, and I believe Sevilla.

As for going abroad immediately, I think you'll find that a lot of universities will probably require you to fulfill a certin amount of foreign language credits before you go abroad. That said, I have friends who studied in Madrid their Sophomore year here at Marquette. AND, every single $ of my financial aid here transferred (I studied at ICADE). Plus, if you wanted to go to Spain for a full year, you can do it in to different places (ie. First semester in Madrid and second semester in San Sebastian--as my friends did).

If you have other questions about the study abroad program at Marquette, let me know and I can try to help you out. It was an amazing experience for me and something I think every student should do!!

Here are some links for you to check out! smile

Marquette at Complutense

Marquette at ICADE

#45386 - 02/23/06 04:39 PM Re: fretting for college...
meencantaespana Offline

Hey! Thanks so much! You are a big help. What were the prices like for going there? I am mostly interested in Complutense. Also, interested in going freshman year. I will have 9 Spanish college credits by the time I enter as I have taken college spanish courses.

#45387 - 02/23/06 10:14 PM Re: fretting for college...
mse924 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA / Madrid, Españ...
You can see the prices (approximately) for the Marquette Complutense program here . The program is also open to non-Marquette students, so even if you find a different school you want to go to, keep the program in mind. The price is about the same as a semester in America at Marquette.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments