Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#45253 - 08/18/05 11:45 AM Re: Learning Spanish in Benalmadena
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Hi Magnus
I am glad these postings were useful to you. I have studied at three different language schools in Spain and also at my own university, and I can honestly say thet Colegio Maravillas is by far the best of the bunch that I have experienced.
As for your questions about accommodation, I stayed with a friend in Fuengirola (as you probably gathered from the postings), and so I cannot give you a great deal of guidence on accommodation. However, I can tell you that...
1. A friend went there for a week and stayed with a family. She thought that it was great and she was very well looked after and she would do the same again if she were to return.
2. One of the other girls in the class (she was only 18 years old), had been there for 3 months and had stayed with a family, she also thought that this was good.
3. Another two of the men in the class stayed in more traditional accommodation - one in a hotel and one in an aparthotel. They both were there for only two or three weeks, but found this satisfactory.
4. One Swedish girl had been in a shared apartment, provided by the school, but after a few weeks she rented an apartment with a friend. She said that this was cheaper and there were many available.
5. Two Italian girls who were there for only 1 week sayed in a hotel. They thought is was great.

If you are going for 8 weeks, you will need to consider costs (including food, laundry etc.)and priorities (such as social life, integration, immersion in the culture and the amount of Spanish you want to speak).
Make a list of the positives and negatives for each of the choices, and work outthe cost per week. This should help you decide.
Also, look at the advice that Puna gives to Adam in the following thread:
http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000395

Please let us know how things work out.
Hope all this helps.
Regards
Robbieroy

#45254 - 08/18/05 02:45 PM Re: Learning Spanish in Benalmadena
Magnus Offline

Loc: SWEDEN
Hi again!
I must say that living with a family then I don’t speak a single word Spanish feels a little bit creepy. I haven’t done something like this before. I’m the typical middleclass European/Swedish that always travel with my friends to tourist traps like Rodos (or Rhodos), Magaluf etc. And if the hotel has a swimming pool with a bar my day is done!
Just the fact that I travel alone is a big step for me! laugh

I’m aware of the cost with shared apartments but my employer is going to pay the course and accommodation. All I need is money for food, hygiene and pleasure. I must say that I haven’t a clue about the prices in Benalmadena but I hope that 200-250 euro a week should be enough to eat drink and have some fun.

Right now I’m thinking that maybe I shouldn’t book single room all 8 weeks in advance. I might change my mind after a couple of weeks and like to live with a family! confused

Anyway thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

#45255 - 08/21/05 11:20 AM Re: Learning Spanish in Benalmadena
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
Robbieroy

Still have not confirmed the dates for my stay in Fuengirola. I will probably arrive between December 27-31 and leave for home between January 7-11.

I just read your profile and we have the same birthday...January 14. I am 7 years older though. I would be happy to share a pre-birthday drink or two.

What are some of your favorite places in Fuengirola? I will be staying with friends on Jesus Santo Rein in between the train station and the fairgrounds.

Arturo

#45256 - 08/21/05 04:47 PM Re: Learning Spanish in Benalmadena
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Hi again Arturo
I will be there until the 4th January, so our dates will probably overlap. I will be staying in the Pueblo Lopez area of town - on the left between the Mercacentro and Barclays Bamk as you travel out of Fuengirola towards Mijas.
As to my favourite places, that's a difficult one, since there are lots to choose from. I guess one of my favourite restaurants Pueblo Lopez, it is tucked away in a small plaza (see earlier reponses in this thread). For good food, El Diamante (in Los Boliches, but one row back from the Paseo Maritimo); Los Limoneros - a chiriguito up near the castillo end of the beach.
Apart from that, Los Condes venta between Mijas and Coin, and for a really cheap lunch Cafe/Bar Aldena, where the truckers stop for lunch (it is on the Fuengirola to Mijas road, on the left, before the Rover car showroom as you approach the big new roundabout that access the new motorway.
Finally, Campo de Tenis Lew Hoad (just after that roundabout, on the right) - that is where I spend most of my time.
It would be great to meet up for a tapa and a beer.
I have to say that I don't spend too much time in the bars and restaurants in Fuengirola. If you know of any good ones, please let me know.
Take care and once you know your dates, we can exchange contact details by private message or email.
What a coincidence about the birthday dates!
Best regards
Robbieroy

#85592 - 10/27/09 02:23 AM Re: Learning Spanish in Benalmadena [Re: robbieroy]
Nicholass Offline

The best way to learn is to practice in conversation. Do you know anyone who speaks Spanish that you could talk to? "EXAMPLE.com" sites takes a different approach and allows people to learn languages regardless of native tongue by allowing flexible language pairing. I think it has a lot of helpful, and I hope it helps you.

Edited by MadridMan (10/27/09 06:35 AM)
Edit Reason: link removed for advertising violation.

#85598 - 10/27/09 06:33 AM Re: Learning Spanish in Benalmadena [Re: Nicholass]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Nicholass, please be VERY careful with your postings. I feared just this when I approved your registration request.

I see that the website you listed above (removed by me) is YOUR website - one of many - and one I've matched the WhoIs info with your email address. We do not allow self-promotions of websites, products, or services and so your posting is not allowed. Please do not do it in the future. You may, however, include a link and description in your signature file. This way, as you participate in typical message board conversation people can see and then choose to click your signature's link. Thank you.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86107 - 12/23/09 12:16 PM Re: Learning Spanish in Benalmadena [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I just popped into the message board for the first time in a long, long time and noticed that this thread had resurfaced - what memories!
I would like to wish all visitors to, and members of the forum a very Merry CHristmas and a Happy New Year.
Felices Fiestas
Robbieroy

#86111 - 12/24/09 02:43 AM Re: Learning Spanish in Benalmadena [Re: robbieroy]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You can't keep a good thread down, robbieroy! Welcome back and Happy Holidays to you! tree

Saludos, MadridMan santa

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86190 - 01/02/10 05:39 AM Re: Learning Spanish in Benalmadena [Re: MadridMan]
JeanSP Offline

Loc: Joburg and Malaga
Just stumbled on this thread now. Really a good read, i am still undecided of where in Spain i am going to relocate to but if Malaga is the place for me, this info is really priceless.
Thanks!
Happy new years to all smile

#86191 - 01/02/10 06:27 AM Re: Learning Spanish in Benalmadena [Re: JeanSP]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
JeanSP ... bear in mind that Malaga is well known for a huge expat community .. notably the UK and Germany . The whole area of Malaga , Marbella , Puerto Banús and even down to Estepona is full of very large house and very wealthy people . With that comes very expensive living , restaurants and bars , especially in Puerto Banús . I was there with family .. our beachfront villa was overlooked by the massive residence of the Saudi Arabian Royal family who were there at the same time as us . You´re talking serious money ! In the small town itself you cannot move , especially on the marina ( room for 900 yachts and always spectacular yachts ) for Ferraris , Rolls Royce , Lamborghini , Bentley etc ... Many with Arabic numberplates . It´s very impressive and my camera was red hot at the end of the day ! The Saudi Royal family normally arrive in an entourage of about 100 .. crown princes , servants etc... . Cartier have a small shop on the Marina and one of the crown princes went in one day ( a few years ago ) and spent something like 60 million Euros in one shot . They normally stay for a month and it´s estimated they contribute something like 2 million Euros a day to the economy !
So your clientele would be very different from that in , say , Barcelona or Madrid !

A link to one report ( from the States ) is :

http://members.tripod.com/joe_matalski/Pages/spain.htm

MM .. the article touches on political/religious issues but it was sent out by associated press ... So I´m assuming that it´s OK ( ? )

Edited by steve robinson (01/02/10 06:31 AM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1605 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments