Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45120 - 05/04/05 06:00 PM Madrid - Leaving in a month, a little scared
MadridGirl273 Offline

I am a third year college student going to Madrid on June 1st to study and live for 2 months. I have directly enrolled in the Universidad Complutense Summer School and made my own living arrangements.

As the time to leave is drawing near, I am becoming more and more nervous and anxious about the language, travel, etc. I have studied spanish for seven years, but I am not fluent.

If anyone has any suggestions/advice/etc. regarding ANYTHING about living in Madrid (University City) I would so appreciate it - where to do laundry, what to do during the day (I will have a month before classes start), how best to practice my language skills, how to meet people, what guides to use. Thank you so much, I really appreciate anything.

Lindsey

#45121 - 05/04/05 06:31 PM Re: Madrid - Leaving in a month, a little scared
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Don't be anxious! Madrid is a big and cosmopolitan city where is very easy to fit in.

Ciudad Universitaria is a district where most colleges are placed. It's to the northwest of Madrid, and 15 minutes away from the town center by subway.

You know enough spanish to deal with most situations. Besides, spaniards are very tolerant with language problems (we are very used to tourists, and appreciate any effort made to speak spanish).

where to do laundry: there are plenty of laundries along the city. I'm sure you won't have any problem to find one. Ask your neighbours where to find one! They are called "lavanderías" or "tintorerías".

what to do during the day: visit museums, monuments, walk through the city, try some restaurants, go to the theatre, to the cinema, have a swim bath in a local swimming-pool, look around the shops, go to a bowling, to discos or pubs,...

how best to practice my language skills: speaking with anyone you have the chance to!

how to meet people: that's tricky, depends completely on your social skills. Start with your neighbours and your class mates smile

I'm sure you'll have a great time here! Enjoy!

Fernando

#45122 - 05/05/05 08:44 PM Re: Madrid - Leaving in a month, a little scared
MadridGirl273 Offline

Fernando,

Thank you so much for your suggestions and calming words. I am feeling a little more at ease as my travel plans become more definite. Any other suggestions that you may have for a first time student living abroad would be much appreciated!

Un saludo,

Lindsey

#45123 - 05/06/05 07:08 AM Re: Madrid - Leaving in a month, a little scared
Amleth Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi Fernando is right. Madrid is a nice city and people here are very open-minded.

It's normal to be nervous before travelling to a foreign country smile . But once you're here you'll be so excited! time flies by in a couple of months being in a city like Madrid.

You'll love its night life and you'll meet lots of new friends in the UCM. I know that 'cos I studied there for 4 years (It's my university smile ). I had classmates from the UK, France, USA, Italy, etc.

I've got a friend from Belgium and I still remember his first day here. He was very nervous 'cos he didn't know anybody and couldn't speak spanish very well. We met him in a restaurant. He looked completely lost, so we decided to talk to him; since that day he goes out with us every week-end, he's invited his brother, friends and girlfriend to come and they love it.
He was amazed since he thought he'd never be able to meet new friends without speaking the language. But you see, it's not like that; there's always a chance and it's going to be easier for you at college.

It's the same thing with another girl from Chicago who was in Madrid to do spansih course (2 weeks only). Some friends met her in class at Universidad Autónoma, they invited her to the Halloween party and she's still here (7 months later).

Relax and Enjoy laugh !

#45124 - 05/06/05 04:17 PM Re: Madrid - Leaving in a month, a little scared
MadridGirl273 Offline

What calming words! Thank you so much for your encouragement smile I appreciate all of your suggestions and kind thoughts - I will certainly keep updated on this forum once I am there!

Lindsey

#45125 - 05/08/05 11:18 AM Re: Madrid - Leaving in a month, a little scared
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Find a Spanish boyfriend. You´ll be fluent in no time!!!

#45126 - 05/25/05 01:58 PM Re: Madrid - Leaving in a month, a little scared
Old-Gringo Offline

Loc: Arizona
Madrid is a wonderful place, full of many foreign students like yourself. You should have a wonderful time.

However, like most big cities, as a single woman you should be careful traveling around the city at night. If you’re with people there shouldn’t be a problem, but if you are by yourself stay out of the subway late at night.

I know several females, including my wife, who have been assaulted there late at night.

Old Gringo

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments