Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#45115 - 07/27/05 01:01 AM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
super lau Offline

meencantaespana - You've got to change the settings on your profile so that I can send you private messages back! laugh

#45116 - 07/27/05 08:55 AM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
kelar419 is not that much older than you and she has experience that is highly relevant to what you want to - I strongly suggest you listen to her, especially as you choose not to listen to the any number of people who have both the knowledge and patience to respond to your question.

Why not take a look into the St Louis U in Madrid that was mentioned - it can't hurt to do some investigative homework -

There is a current active thread on SLU-Madrid
here http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000396 plus if you do a search I know the issue has been discussed in the past.

It might well prove to be a possible solution if you are accepted.

#45117 - 07/27/05 11:41 AM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
saritisima24_dup1 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
I can affirm what a few people have said about the entrance exams and such being very difficult to get into any university in Spain. After I graduated high school, I spent a year studying abroad in Madrid through the Rotary Youth Exchange program. They placed me in COU (Curso De Orientación Universitaria). The classes I took were in preparation for this entrance exam, Selectividad (I think that is the exam everyone else is referring to). Of course I didn't have to take it, as I was there really just experiencing and learning the language, but yes I could tell it would be very thorough. I think I was taking like eight classes, and you chose your emphasis - Letras (philosophy, history, etc) or Ciencias (chemistry, more math, etc). Some don't pass and have to take that year all over again preparing for the next year. And what score you get determines what you can study.

Anyway, about getting your degree abroad. You may look into Saint Louis University - they have a campus in Madrid and are accredited by both Spain and the US (in other words, your degree would be valid in both countries). I was looking into that to do my Master's there, which you can do in four summers. Here is their website: http://spain.slu.edu/ It doesn't look like you can get your entire undergrad degree at this particular university - but at least you could study there for a year, and know what you are taking validates in both the US and Spain. It's not easy to find a school like that.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE: I am so sorry ya'll - just noticed a couple of people already mentioned SLU. My bad!

#45118 - 07/27/05 03:56 PM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
meencantaespana Offline

thanks i changed the settings sorry

#45119 - 07/27/05 03:57 PM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
meencantaespana Offline

It's not that I don't want to listen to you guys, it's that I chose not to listen to negative feedback and negative encouragement. If you don't believe I can do it, then please don't say anything. I understand that this will be extremely difficult and it will take a lot of preparing but it is what I am currently working for.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1568 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments