Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#45105 - 05/21/05 04:26 PM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
meencantaespana Offline

thanks so much! just a ?, r the classes conducted in spanish? it sounds like a great school but im actually now looking for the u. of seville, i dont wanna be with other americans and have english tempt me, also the university id go thru here in the us sends me to u of seville but thanks,

#45106 - 05/23/05 12:18 AM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
Hi, I studied abroad at university of sevilla. My classes basically had american students. Many latinos from america.They all spoke english. The classes were all conducted in spanish.I read in spanish and did presentations in front of my class in spanish. The thing is I don't think it would have made too much of a difference if everyone in the class was from spain.We had the option of taking two classes per semester with other spaniards. The key is to spend time with spaniards outside of class. We met so many people and we ended up hanging out with them. Pretty soon the language was rolling off my tongue.Many american students study in seville. There are bars where spaniards and americans hang out. Bars where you might just find only americans. Also there are bars where only spaniards hang out.We went to all. After a few weeks there we ended up hanging with spaniards.I learned everthing from them.The key is not to be afraid of making mistakes. Heck the spaniards even laugh with you. They are very proud of their language and will correct you.This is good since you don't want to keep making the same mistakes.

#45107 - 07/14/05 06:04 PM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
meencantaespana Offline

I guess most of u are americans...hmmm iwonder how i know..."just take the easier way" "that would be much easier"

#45108 - 07/14/05 07:36 PM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
meencantaespana, YOU'RE NOT a United Statesen? Or maybe you are a Spaniard living in New York City? cool

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#45109 - 07/14/05 08:57 PM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Nobody is saying take the easy way out, nor do I believe most of us have. We (well I) are however trying to give you a REALISTIC impression of what you are looking at, I'm not sure you really grasp it. I'm not sure if you are talking about doing your entire education abroad as was originally discussed, or attending a US University and studying abroad in Spain for a year. Those are two entirely different things.

#45110 - 07/17/05 09:11 PM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
adam smith Offline

Have you given any thought to studying in Spain during High School? I will be going this coming fall through CIEE for my senior year. It could be a great way to see if living in Spain is for you. It would also help your spanish and you would make new friends. Just a thought
adam

#45111 - 07/18/05 05:21 PM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
meencantaespana Offline

Yeah, I thought about going during HS but I have just been going now a couple of times to visit my friends for a month at a time. I know it's for me and I would like to actually study there for my college years.

#45112 - 07/22/05 11:49 PM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
Granadina80 Offline

Loc: Granada as of 9/12
Meencanta-
You really should consider starting off with a three-month stay... Trust me when I say that 4 years, or even a year, in another country is a VERY long time. Especially for someone so young! (No offense!) You need to try living in Spain for a time and see if it IS indeed for you. There is a very large difference between wanting to live there and actually living there. I, like Kelly, spent a year in Granada. I was 23 when I did this, and even then found it difficult (at times) to be so very far away from anything familiar. It will begin to take its toll after a while!

In short, go for a few months THEN decide. smile You may find that it's not for you...

Buena suerte,
Amy wink

#45113 - 07/23/05 01:57 PM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Going to Spain a couple times for a "visit" is extremely different than living there! It is an entirely different thing to live there. Maybe a good route for you to consider would be the St. Louis University's Madrid Campus. I'm not really all that familiar with it, but that may be your best bet at a 4 year degree in Spain, that will be useful and valid in the U.S. when you graduate. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide!

#45114 - 07/25/05 01:39 AM Re: Thinking of studying for college...where?
super lau Offline

Hi meencantaespana -

I am a college age female who has studied at SLU-Madrid and I am very familiar with Complutense as well. I went to Spain straight out of high school and started college at SLU-Madrid. I'm now studying at a university in the US. I first went to Spain on a school trip (at 16) and got hooked. Everybody thought I was crazy for going abroad for college too...and I probably was, but it was worth it. laugh If you send me a private message I would be more than happy to talk with you about my experiences - both the negative AND the positive sides of going abroad. (Look under FAQ if you don't know how to send a private message.)

laugh
super lau

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1697 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments