Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44948 - 03/03/05 10:46 AM LLM in International Law
llewilli Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Does anyone know anything about LLM's or Masters in international law in Spain? I've been reading a little about them here and there but am not sure exactly what they are, how helpful they are, if they allow you to practice law in Spain, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

#44949 - 03/03/05 12:25 PM Re: LLM in International Law
jabch Offline

llewilli: I hope this is not too much information.

The LL.M. is mostly an American concept. However, many universities in Europe are now opening programs with the same structure as the American LL.M. In Spain, you may also find them under the name "Maestria en Derecho" if the university is focused on masters for Spanish lawyers or under the name LL.M., if they are trying to reach foreign lawyers. There are tons of them.

When I started looking for a law program in Spain, I was surprised to see that the most respected business schools in Spain, like Instituto de Empresa, ESADE, or IESE, are now offering LL.M. degrees. So this seems to be the way to go for business lawyers looking for an LL.M. in Spain. Check out http://www.llm-guide.com/spain

However, the most respected and traditional law schools are not those named above. So I would still consider going to a university like the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Universidad de Barcelona, or Universidad de Navarra, but there's many more options.

I feel that in Spain, what law school you come from is important but not as in the U.S. So your decision might come down to what city of Spain you like and then choose a good university over there.

Be aware that once you obtain admission in any study program in Spain, you have to request a student's visa in the appropriate Spanish consulate.

Having an LL.M from Spain does not entitle you to practice law in Spain. There is a lengthy process to become licensed to practice in Spain. Also, they recently changed the law and now Spain requires a bar-type exam to become admitted in Spain. You may have to pass this exam before getting your license.

Also, during this process you may have to "legalize" your American law degree in Spain. This is an endorsement from the appropriate authority that proves you have a valid American law degree.

I have dealt with the Spanish government in other matters, and it takes them a while to react. So be prepared for that. Also, consider that the Spanish legal market is not like that of the U.S. Over there many attorneys end up not practicing law at all or your first job won't pay as much as in the U.S., and I am not talking about the big-law American jobs, just your average attorney job in the U.S. --- In exchange you get to live there cool ---

Even though you face competition from English or other European lawyers, your knowledge of the American legal system and English skills should be a great asset for a Spanish law firm.

In 2004, I gathered all the information on how to become licensed in Spain and can e-mail it to you, it is in Spanish though.

Oh! I almost forget to mention something very important, if you are not transferred to Spain by an American Law firm or you are not a European citizen, getting the work visa can prove challenging, if not impossible.

If can be of help, just let me know.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments