Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44918 - 01/25/05 03:20 PM Granada: Centro de Lenguas Modernas?
reveille Offline

Does anyone have information on or experience with the classes at the Centro de Lenguas Modernas at the University of Granada?
I am thinking about going there for study abroad.
Is the University of Granada a good school?
Are there many international students who go there?
What are your opinions about studying abroad? and do you recomend any certain programs for studying abroad? (AIFS, ISA, etc.)
Thank you in advance,
Diana

#44919 - 01/26/05 12:02 AM Re: Granada: Centro de Lenguas Modernas?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I'm now a senior, but I spent spring semester of my sophmore year studying abroad in Granada, Universidad de Granada. I posted lots of questions here when making the decision to go there, if you do a search you can probably pull them up, people were very helpful smile That said, I went kinda a different route, and did not take classes at the Centro de Lenguas Modernas, and just took all my classes at with spaniards at the university, with support of a center called CEGRI. I had an amazing experience there and can truely say I loved every minute of it. There is so much I could say on the topic of study abroad, but if you do a search about studying abroad you will find most of it so I wont bore you with too much here. My one piece of advice? GO, and as much as possible, really integrate yourself into the town and the culture and stay clear of the american study abroad crowd.... make friends with locals, take a dance class, join a club, live with a family, do whatever you have to do but don't fall victim the the american crowd scenario, it will be worth it in the end smile
Kelly

#44920 - 02/21/05 05:43 PM Re: Granada: Centro de Lenguas Modernas?
Julien Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA
Does anyone have information on or experience with the classes at the Centro de Lenguas Modernas at the University of Granada?
I am thinking about going there for study abroad.
Is the University of Granada a good school?
Are there many international students who go there?
What are your opinions about studying abroad? and do you recomend any certain programs for studying abroad? (AIFS, ISA, etc.)
Thank you in advance,
Diana

hey diana. last year i went to the centro de lenguas modernas at hte universidad de granada for one semester. overall I was happy with the classes there, though some were really easy. i graduated from college a while ago and never had a study abroad experience. i got really interested in spanish and spain for one reason or another, and ended up saving my money for a long time and eventually quit my job to move to granada to take classes at the univ de granada. unlike kelly (kelar) taking classes directly at the university wasn't an option for me. i studied french, not spanish, in school, so my level of spanish wasn't good enough for normal university classes. but if your spanish is good enough i think taking classes directly at the university is a great idea - it's cheap, you can meet lots of spaniards, and you'll see firsthand what taking courses at a spanish university is really about. living abroad is a great experience and i highly recommend it to you. granada is a really fun, youthful city, and the way of life in andalucia is very relaxing.

i'm not sure if the univ de granada is one of the top universities in spain. it is a really big school though. i think something like 60,000 people go to school there.

as far as the centro de lenguas modernas is concerned there are tons of foreigners there. most students are americans, though i met british, french, italian, japanese, and german students at the clm.

when i went to granada last year i decided that it was a lot cheaper not to use one of the study abroad programs (isa, aifs, etc.). i had to do all the legwork on my own - finding an apartment, cooking, getting a visa, etc - but it was worth it. i ended up living with 3 spanish students and a japanese girl. my spanish really improved. i was able to sort of stay away from the american students at the school because i was not in one of the study abroad programs they used and i did not live with other americans.

i hope this helps. if you have any more questions about spain, granada, the centro de lenguas modernas, or anything else feel free to send me a private message or just post directly to the board.
good luck.

#44921 - 02/21/05 08:42 PM Re: Granada: Centro de Lenguas Modernas?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
julien has a really important point: dont live with other americans!!! i lived with a family and to be honest, that was only so-so and i think really depends on the family you end up with.

#44922 - 02/24/05 01:57 PM Re: Granada: Centro de Lenguas Modernas?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi Diana,

I studied at the University of Granada's Centro for Lenguas Modernas a while ago...yikes, actually in 1993! I loved it and have been back many times to visit. I went through the University of Connecticut/University of New Hampshire/Univ of Rhode Island program (called CUNI--Consorcio Universitario de Nueva Inglaterra), so my classes were with all Americans, but we lived with Spanish families and were the only English speakers in the home. We also made Spanish friends, and rarely hung out with large groups of English-speakers.

Granada was a great place to go because, in general, you don't find as many English speakers in your day to day routine than you would in say, Madrid, Barcelona, or Sevilla, so it forces you to use your Spanish. The classes were not easy, but not the hardest I've ever taken either, and were taught by University of Granada professors who then came over to our facultad to teach us, not Americans. The most important part of studying abroad, in my opinion, is not necessarily the classes, but the overall cultural experience you have there, which includes going out and meeting Spanish people and experiencing their traditions.

I would highly recommend Granada because it is a smaller city that you can get to know fairly easily, use your Spanish and see the beautiful sites! I'd also recommend, if you are going through a program, to stay with a Spanish family and make sure that you'll be the only English speaker in the home, which again forces you to speak Spanish.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time and buen viaje!!

GranadaGirl

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments