Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44847 - 11/14/04 01:22 AM Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
Avril Offline

Loc: Athens, Georgia(UGA), USA
I too am studying abroad my Junior year for the whole year(a year is the best way to go!) but I have been contemplating Madrid vs. Barcelona. I know Barcelona has the coast and Madrid is the capital and has Real Madrid games, Im definitely a city girl but I love the water! I can't decide I have done a lot of research and I need some opinions of people that have been there! If you can help... wow would I appreciate it!

Muchas Gracias - Avril
(an avid Mana fan!)

#44848 - 11/14/04 07:37 AM Re: Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Avril,

It depends of what u r going to study. Obviously, if you intend to study spanish, barcelonian spanish has not only a strong accent but is a little mixed with catalonian language. In the province it's worse.

So, I would'n select Madrid for this matter. The best accent and maybe the most correct (for spaniard spanish both) ue of the language, are said to be Salamanca and Valladolid. These are about 200.000 and 400.000 people towns, more or less. But Madrid spanish is good (but from some English words that slipped in and some local slang), and Madrid is the place for fun in Spain, exception made of Ibiza, haha.

I like Barcelona most in many other aspects but not in the above mentioned.

In Madrid you have Real Madrid, but in Barcelona you have Barcelona F.C., at least as good IMO. smile

#44849 - 11/14/04 08:00 PM Re: Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
Avril Offline

Thanks for your advice, I'm going to study Spanish yes, I have heard Salamanca and smaller towns are good but I really want to go to a city especially since I'll be there a year, So of those two were you leaning towards Madrid, maybe? Lol - yes I guess that the fact that Madrid has Real Madrid is a benefit is a matter of opinion, to each his own that's cool. I'm really not a shy person I don't think Ill have a problem meeting people which is one the things I have heard against large cities -- that you get the big city/cold atmosphere. I have heard too what you said about Barcelona and the different languages being that 10,000(I believe) speak Catalon. Thanks again!

#44850 - 11/14/04 10:33 PM Re: Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I studied in both Granada and Bilbao, and while I felt that both those towns provided more of the experience I wanted than Madrid could have (I wanted to be involved in the University, really get to know the town, and not be around a lot of other extranjeros). I felt they were both big enough to give me the best of both worlds. That said, my vote goes to Madrid hands down. While yes, Barcelona is a beautiful city, and catalan language and culture are really interesting in itself, if its spanish you want to learn, I'd go to Madrid. Madrid also is a good location from which to travel the rest of the country, and the rest of Europe for that matter. Wherever you go, you will love it! It goes by way to fast so enjoy it!!!
Kelly

#44851 - 11/14/04 10:56 PM Re: Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Have you looked into Alicante? It's about 250,000 people, so it's not a huge city, but it's easy to take some daytrips from there. I liked it because the univeristy was fabulous and there were some great beaches there, but overall the city wasn't extremely busy.

Good luck!

#44852 - 11/15/04 01:29 AM Re: Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
So of those two were you leaning towards Madrid, maybe?
Well, sure yes. When I wrote
Quote:
So, I would'n select Madrid for this matter.
I meant "So, I would select Madrid for this matter."

About MAdrid, expect traffic to be EXTREMELY intense at times, and public transport rather inneficient. This leads to lots of lost time unless you live very downtown, which is expensive and/or a little worse quality because those neighbourhoods consist of mostly old buildings.

#44853 - 11/15/04 08:47 AM Re: Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I've studied in both Barcelona and Madrid. If studying and learning Spanish (castellano) is your first priority, then, for me, there is no question that you should study in Madrid. Catalan is the dominant language in Barcelona.

I'm not sure where you got the info that 10,000 people speak Catalan in Barcelona, but this is not correct! 75% of the people who live in Catalunya speak Catalan--almost 5 million people.

Castellano is spoken as well--because nearly everyone is bilingual--but not with nearly the same "joie de vivre" as it is in Madrid and other parts of Spain, since it is a second language...

But both are great, great cities. Madrid is more open and has more of a big-city cosmopolitan feel. It's more inviting and relaxed than Barcelona. Barcelona is more beautiful architecturally and has a stunning natural setting.

#44854 - 11/15/04 03:46 PM Re: Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
Avril Offline

Thanks everyone that replied that was extremely helpful, especially since brochures and websites only point out the positive aspects. I have heard a lot of input on considering a smaller city, I think I'll look into that even though I've always had my heart set on Madrid. I'm going to post another question if anyone has anymore input feel free I really appreciate it!

Chinese proverb: If you want to know the road ahead, ask those on the way back.

#44855 - 01/06/05 03:57 PM Re: Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I studied in Barcelona for a year and am currently dating a Spaniard from Madrid (we met in the US). Although I am a great fan of BCN, Madrid would be the better place to learn Spanish. BUT, if you want to see what else Spain has to offer I would certainly reccommend Barcelona. I loved Barcelona because I had an interest in Catalan, art nouveau, Spanish civil war history, the beach and to be able to access the rest of Europe quicker. Catalonia is very different from the rest of Spain! I also loved Andulucia (Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba, Cadiz), where the rest of the world believes what Spain is all about: flamenco, the bullfights, the beaches...(but of course, the best way to learn Spanish is to get a Spanish speaking boyfriend!)

#44856 - 01/11/05 09:19 PM Re: Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
Avril Offline

Thanks everyone for their imput, because of all the advice about going to a smaller town I am now looking into Valencia. So it is Madrid vs. Valencia, I know this seems very wish washy of me but I really have had so many people tell me Madrid is awesome but that a smaller town might serve me better. On the note of finding a spanish boyfriend I have gotten that advice it seems just as much which is very funny but definitely true. I'll definitely be recruiting guys while I'm there. So in conclusion if there are any thoughts on Valencia (I know it is still a city not really a small town but I near a city of 4 million so I really love the city) then I always appreciate you guy's imput! Thanks!

#44857 - 01/11/05 11:00 PM Re: Study in Madrid or Barcelona?
PrincesitaDeVA Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Well I have personally never studied in Spain but this past summer I went to Spain. I was in Murcia but took day trips to Alicante and Valencia. I really like Valencia, very pretty city! Its right by the coast, and its close to Alicante and Murica. So you could do day trips easily. Things are more laid back the further south you go (or so I noticed!) so you could keep that in mind. And there is still plenty to do!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments