Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#44797 - 10/12/04 04:34 PM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Just another thought about getting into Complutense. A long long time ago, I studied at the University of Florence. I found a Rutgers program that facilitated my entrance into and study at the University. I was able to choose my department of study and we had a Rutgers professor with us who took care of all of the administrative stuff. (That is worth a lot!) The way it worked was I took a leave from my university and enrolled in Rutgers for the year. My university preapproved the program, so all credits transferred. It was very simple (and cheaper than my pricy university!)

You might try to look for an American university offering a similar program to Complutense. It could be easier to get into than your school's program. Good luck!

#44798 - 10/13/04 03:31 AM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Super Martínez Offline

Loc: University of Missouri
Wow! I cant believe the amount of helpful replys I've gotten. Thank you Fernando, pinofas, Jana and everyone else who has replied. Oh and of course, thanks to MadridMan for setting up this forum and nuturing such an awesome community.

But enough gushing! About the studying abroad, the guy at my school said that I can only make plans for one semester. The Global Engineering Education Exchange website makes it sound like I should expect a whole year. I imagine that is just the beginning of the contradictions and problems I'll be running into in this process. Politecnica de Madrid is looking pretty good, but I'm going look into other programs just to see what's around. Obviously, going through the programs my school is a part of would be best.

Has anyone studied abroad at UPM? Did you take any classes in your field (like engineering)? I've been told that American students often aviod UPM because the instruction is in Spanish and the material is difficult. I dont mind the Spanish instruction, but just how difficult are the classes?

#44799 - 10/13/04 10:26 AM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
SuperMartinez. I sent you a PM with more info, but have you thought of taking a year off and coming as an Erasmus student? I'm assuming that you are an EU citizen through your mother...

Also, you might consider just enrolling directly here for a semester to see how it goes. Tuition here is a fraction of the cost of a US university...

#44800 - 10/13/04 03:20 PM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Well, any engineering is difficult, but I must say that UPM is above average in difficulty. However, it is usually easier for exchange students (teachers are more benevolent).

Fernando

#44801 - 11/15/04 05:14 PM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Avril Offline

Loc: Athens, Georgia(UGA), USA
I have been reading all of the talk about studying abroad at Compultense, which is amazingly interesting to me because I too am studying abroad in Madrid for a year, I'm going my junior year and have been looking at compultense, Autonoma, and some at the others. I currently attend the University of Georgia(Im a first year) and I'm a spanish major soon to add another major, the second major is somewhat undecided. What I am certain about is that I love spanish, the cultural, all of it. I feel that I was born in the wrong country, no joke. My friends don't understand I love finding people who do! I agree the companies that go outside of schools (some good ones CEA and API), are more expensive but they do handle transfering credits and paperwork with less stress. If I could I would jump all over direct enrolement, my problem is that I am not fulent, (Im in 3010 level spanish, 3rd year college level) but speaking especially understanding castillean would be crazy my first semester because direct enrolement you have no support group to help. I would totally do it but if I fail I'm screwed. Money, considering I'm paying for it, is somewhat an issue, I've been saying for a while. If you can I recommend direct enrolement to the university. It is more work on your part but I think you having family there "vale la pena" it is totally worth it! I have a ton of info on exchanges for a year if you have specific questions, or advice, feel free that'd be awesome!

#44802 - 05/11/05 03:13 PM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Super Martínez Offline

Loc: University of Missouri
Update!

After a semester weekly meetings with my school's international studies director, I got my application to the Global Engineering Education Exchange in. A few months pass with no word from them. I figured my application had been messed up (the guy at my school was at best useless, getting around him was my biggest problem in this process) or I was rejected and not sent a letter.

Wrong. Today, a month later than I was told would have been the "latest" I would hear from them, I get an email from GE3 telling me that I've been accepted to study at la Universidad Politecnica de Madrid next year. Hooray!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and to let you know that it wasn't in vain.

#44803 - 05/11/05 03:51 PM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Fantastic news Super Martínez!!! -Sort of made your day didn't it wink

#44804 - 05/12/05 02:43 AM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Congratulations Super!!!! I studied in the UPM too, civil engineering, so if you need any help don't hesitate to ask!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1942 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments