Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44787 - 10/08/04 06:52 AM Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Super Martínez Offline

Loc: University of Missouri
Hola. This is my first post here on MadridMan's forums, so I'll do a quick introduction:

Born in the United States, my mother is Spanish and my father an American. My first language is Spanish, because that's all my mother spoke when I was little (they dont call it lengua materna for nothing). We visted Spain every summer, for nearly the whole summer (my parents were teachers, summers were mostly off and my abuelo paid for nearly the whole trip).

Currently, I am a student in a small engineering university in Missouri (University of Missouri-Rolla). Small, small town. Boring, boring engineering.

For the past few years I have felt something nagging. Like I'm not in the right place. Homesickness, you could say. But all my comforting nostalgic thoughts are not of my house in the USA, but rather of my tia's house in Toledo. Not just the house, of course, but of the whole culture that I partially experienced in my homelife and of the whole country and society. I've been dwelling on these feelings lately.

So! The point: I've decided to cure myself by going straight to the source. I'm making plans for next year to study abroad at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid . Three of my cousins go the school and I have an open invitation to live at their apartament. Seems perfect, right?

There are a few problems: this small university in the middle of nowhere Missouri doesn't exactly have much the way of international programs. It's pretty much all run by one man. Though I have been able to find out that our meager program does have UCM on their list, I don't know what else to expect this one man to do.

I made an appointment with him for next week, and I dont want to be caught unprepared. What do I need to do/have before I start making plans with him?

All that for just one question! Please excuse the lengthy post. I guess I needed to vent to some like-minded people a little. I cant talk to my friends or coleges about this. They wouldnt understand.

Muchisimas gracias!

#44788 - 10/08/04 11:24 AM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Old-Gringo Offline

Loc: Arizona
From my point of view the most important thing is to understand (and confirm in writing) which credits from Spain you will be able to transfer and use toward your degree in the U.S.

If the person at your school is vague, beware. It is not unheard of that students without prior confirmation have zero foreign credits recognized by their home school.

An agreement or convenio means nothing in terms of recognizing credits.

Been there, done that-

Old Gringo

#44789 - 10/09/04 12:55 AM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Kathyrine Offline

Loc: Fort Worth Texas, USA
Hola Super Martienez,

I live in Fort Worth, Texas U.S.A and I can completly relate with you in having a need or or nagging desire to live in Spain. My Father was in the U.S Military and I was a baby and lived in Torrejon, Spain in the subburbs of Madrid. I lived in Germany and Western Europe for most of my childhood and moved to the U.S. at 12 years old.

I visited a childhood friend in the last 3 weeks in Madrid and have been totally honest with myself dealing with my feelings....I am moving back to Madrid in the next 3 to 4 years. I need to save to money and make arrangements for a job but I will move back!!!!

My Heart and Soul is there .. I can not explain it but I competly understand what you are going through.
You only live once so live in the place that calls you !!!

#44790 - 10/09/04 02:07 AM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Super Martínez Offline

Thank you for the advice Old Gingo. I will make certain that the credits will transfer.

Kathyrine, I am so glad to hear from someone else going through my kind of situation. I as well have been thinking of moving to Spain permanently. It would not be very hard, for though I was born in the US, I have Spanish citizenship due to jus sanguinis (because my mother was Spanish, I am too). And though the economy in Spain "no va bien", my entire extended family is financially fine in Spain. I am confident that I can do as well as any of my cousins.

I'm not sure what work I will find. I'm getting a degree in Computer Science (Informatica), so I'd like a programming position. It just doesn't seem like there are many of those jobs available these days. Being that I speak both English and Spanish fluently (though with a slight accent in both!), I could also get certified to teach English. The Expatriate Café gives me some interesting ideas. What are your plans, Kathyrine? How will you go about getting citizenship? What about work? Please tell me more about your situation. I talk so much not only to "vent" but also to encourage others to share. I am very interested in this subject.

But! I'm getting ahead of myself. First, before I begin to seriously make plans to move permanently to Spain, I want to spend a year there. That will be the real test. If when I come back to the US I still feel myself feeling out of place and missing Spain, I will know where my "heart and soul" are.

What I fear the most is that no matter where I go, US or Spain, I will miss my other "mother land".

#44791 - 10/11/04 06:32 AM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Programming jobs in Spain are very frequent! It is one of the most demanded jobs here. And being bilingual is a very important plus.

You should make every effort to have your university director sign an agreement with Universidad Complutense, and talk him about your plans.

Give him a hook: UCM (Universidad Complutense de Madrid) has 120,000 students who could be potential exchange students in his university.

Hope you are able to move here smile

Fernando

#44792 - 10/11/04 07:20 PM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Super Martínez Offline

Well, I had my meeting with my schools international coordinator today. Although my school does have an exchange program with UCM, it is shared with some other 9 universities in the United States. In other words, it is extremely competetive. Anyone with less than a 3.6/4.0 GPA is thrown out. He told me that there has never been a student from my school to be accepted (not because we are dumb, but because this is an engineering school. A's are unusual in "hard" science/math). He said I could apply, but that I should have a back-up school and definately expect rejection from the UCM program.

I also have some good news, however! One "back-up school" is looking very good. Universidad Politécnica de Madrid is an engineering school with a good reputation and a program for international students in Computer Science. UPM is part of the Global Engineering Education Exchange , as is my school. Much better chances for me to get accepted!

This is not exactly what I had in mind, as I really did have my heart set on UCM. My uncle is a professor there and I've got a few cousins that are students. It also is where my mother and father met. If I really wanted, I could go through an independent program, but that is a lot of trouble and very expensive (I'd have to drop out of school and none of my scholarships would apply).

So what's the word on the Global Engineering Education Exchange or Universidad Politécnica de Madrid? Anyone participate in the program or attend the university? What's the social reputation of UPM?

Gracias!

#44793 - 10/11/04 09:03 PM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Hahahaha! laugh

I assumed you knew UPM!

There are five public Universities in Madrid:

Universidad Complutense de Madrid
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos I

The largest, by far, is Universidad Complutense. It has lots of different colleges, mostly concentrated in the Ciudad Universitaria estate of Madrid (northwest). They have a College of Computer Science .

Universidad Autónoma de Madrid is (as far as I know) the second largest. It is located outside Madrid (in Cantoblanco), have lots of colleges and a good reputation. They have also a School of Engineering in Computer Science .

Universidad Carlos III is located in Alcalá de Henares (north-east Madrid), it has a fair reputation in engineering. And yes, you guessed it, they have a School of Egineering in Computer Science .

Universidad Rey Juan Carlos I is the newest Madrid public University. It is located some kilometers south to Madrid. Oh, yes, they have a College of Computer Science . It has an average reputation.

And we end in Universidad Politécnica, which is were I study laugh It has 20,000 students. It was created many years ago to have all engineering schools in one, unique university. Thus, it is the most specialized university in engineering. Its reputation is probably higher than the other four universities. Its colleges are distributed among Madrid. Some are in the middle of Madrid, some in Ciudad Universitaria, and the one who interests you is in Boadilla del Monte (to the west of Madrid). Check their webpage .

So, try to go for Complutense, and if you can't come here with their exchange programm, try first Politécnica, then Univ. Carlos III, then Univ. Rey Juan Carlos I and then Univ. Autónoma. But anyway, you will have a good experience in all of them, and you can be sure that they have the five of them a good reputation.

Even if none of them accept you, there are other half-public and private universities in Madrid which will be glad to have you with them.

Fernando

#44794 - 10/12/04 12:47 AM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Super Martínez Offline

Thank you very much for all that information, Fernando! I'd heard of UPM before, but I didn't really know anything about it. Sure, I can always read brochures or look at websites, but it's best to hear what the students actually think.

So, Fernando, being a student there, what can you tell me about UPM? What do you study? If it's
Informática, what do you think about the school? The Boadilla del Monte website said it is 15 kmetros from Madrid. Is it possible to take public transportation from Madrid to Boadilla on a daily basis? (I'll be living with my cousins in Madrid)

Oh, and by the way, I was curious so I took a look at Trabajo.org for jobs in informática and the search turned out about 720 jobs in Spain (the only other field that had more was Comercial). And, yes, many of those 720 jobs had english abilities as a requirement. Indeed, Fernando, you were right, programmers are in high demand in Spain. Very interesting! laugh

#44795 - 10/12/04 06:32 AM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Hi Super smile

Visit this link: http://aula.elmundo.es/aula/especiales/2004/50carreras/informatica.html

UPM is considered by an international student the best university to course Ingeniería Informática (Engineering in Computer Science).

As for me I have studied Telecommunications (IT) Engineering in UPM. Although I consider that it could be better, I'm happy with the education I got, and have not had much problems to find a job. UPM is, perhaps, one of the most prestigious universities in Spain, and is reckoned in Europe as one of the best universities of engineering, along with Polytechnique in France.

It is possible to go to Boadilla del Monte on a daily basis by bus (most students do it), though car would probably be the best. If you see the map it is not very far from Madrid smile

Fernando

#44796 - 10/12/04 08:00 AM Re: Planning for Madrid's Universidad Complutense
pinofas Offline

Loc: Alpedrete (Madrid)
Super Martinez, check these links:

http://www.infojobs.net

(A popular website with many work offers about tecnology - informática, telecomunicaciones, marketing...)

http://www.lawebdelprogramador.com

(Comunity of computer programming in Spain, here you can find many offers and information too)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments