Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44673 - 07/02/04 01:56 AM Studying Spanish at UCM
Azmeet Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I am a university student in British Columbia, Canada. I am taking some Spanish classes right now, but I would like to study Spanish in Spain in order to become fluent.
I was looking into doing an exchange through my university. The only Spanish university that is affiliated with mine is the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
I was told that the only way I could do an exchange to Spain was if I was fluent in Spanish, because all the classes are taught in that language. If I want to learn Spanish I have to go to Mexico.
I am a bit puzzled because I have been reading a lot of posts from people who have gone to Spain to study Spanish. So, I don't get how a big university like UCM does not offer a program for foreigners who want to learn the language.
Can someone tell me if this is true? If so, are there other universities in Spain that would offer classes for someone like me?
Thank you, any responses would be greatly appreciated.

#44674 - 07/02/04 05:09 AM Re: Studying Spanish at UCM
nevado Offline

There is a difference between your university having affiliation with a Spanish University and your university having a program at a Spanish university. Those who study Spanish at UCM go through a program sponsored by a university. Those students have the option to take classes with fellow program members or do what your university does, allow you to enroll in classes with other Spaniards, hence the higher level requirement. Do a search on studyabroad.com (I think that's the link) and find programs offered at UCM. Another option is Univ. Antonio de Nebrija http://www.hispanicosnebrija.com/spanishcourses/, a private univ. in Madrid. They have classes you'd be able to take with (although once again, you'll most likely be with other foreigners without an advanced level of Spanish).
Now, here's another question- will your university accept the credits for not going through their set up? That's something you'll have to find out (unless you don't care about receiving credit).

#44675 - 07/02/04 12:36 PM Re: Studying Spanish at UCM
Azmeet Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Thanks Nevado,
Actually I would get credit for my work even if I go to a university that is not affiliated with mine, as long as the place I choose is reputable. I would just have to pay much higher fees.

#44676 - 07/02/04 08:15 PM Re: Studying Spanish at UCM
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Well...I studied at UCM in the "el curso para extranjeros en la Facultad de Filosofia y Letras"...

The Professors never spoke in English and to tell the truth...at least in my case, I know that they didn't know it. The students were not all from the U.S. I would say that 50% came from the Americas; 40% came from Japan; and the remaining 10% from Europe. You didn't speak English in class with your mates...you didn't necessarily have an American next to you.

Sheryl

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments