Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44505 - 02/05/04 10:01 AM Concern Language Barrier
Travelgirl88 Offline

Loc: Canada
I am travelling to Madrid and Barcelona in March. The one thing I am concern is about communications. Such as going to restaruants and shopping. Do most of the locals speak English? Or do you advise we should come prepared with a bit of spansih knowledge on hand?

#44506 - 02/05/04 10:20 AM Re: Concern Language Barrier
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Your concern is valid. MOST hotels and FINER restaurants will likely have someone who speaks some English. The vast majority, however, do not speak English. Few hostels, pensions, or few-stars hotels or smaller, more basic restaurants will have anyone who speaks more than a few words of English. Only the higher-class shops will likely have someone who speaks English.

So the answer to your question, unfortunately, is no. MOST locals do not speak English. Spain is one of those countries in Europe where English is spoken by the fewest people, unlike in Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden, etcetera.

Yes, get out your phrase book and please practice the pronunciation as well.

Good luck and please let us know, after your trip, how it went. Will you? Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#44507 - 02/05/04 10:29 AM Re: Concern Language Barrier
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
While what MM says is true, on the other hand, you should understand that Spain is a very touristic country. If you need something ask! If someone doesn't speak english, he will try by all possible means to make him understood in one way or another. Don't be afraid about that. Most of the people will try to help you.

Fernando

#44508 - 02/05/04 01:57 PM Re: Concern Language Barrier
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
It depends on where you go. The further south you go , the less english is spoken.Madrid, a little english in the tourist areas. Barcelona is the only place where people know quite a bit of english. When I lived there, I would go out to eat at restaurants and the waiter would ask me If I would like to be spoken to in english,castellano or catalan.

#44509 - 02/05/04 03:56 PM Re: Concern Language Barrier
Travelgirl88 Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks for all your advice. I guess learning a different language could be fun, so hopefully I can get the pronunciation right. I will keep you posted on how it goes after my trip.

#44510 - 02/06/04 08:02 AM Re: Concern Language Barrier
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Travelgirl,

Do you have time to take a Spanish class at an adult education center or local high school? Most last 8 weeks and are very helpful for getting the pronounciation right.

Or, do as I do before I visit a foreign country. I go to my local library and check out the audio language tapes or CD's and listen to them in my car on my way to and from work. They always have a native narrator, and you will be able to find some titled "Spanish for travelers" that have phrases for the hotel, restaurant, train, etc. They focus on what you need to say to get around, rather than the past present and future tense of every single verb!

Also, right before I leave on my trip I check out Rick Steeves (Spanish) Phrasebook. It is small enough to carry in my purse (maybe 3" X 5") and has all the helpful travel-related words in case you get stuck!

I have been to Spain many times and find all the locals to be VERY helpful and will go out of their way to help you. One man in Seville even walked me to my destination when I just couldn't understand the directions.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments