Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#44397 - 10/18/03 01:09 PM Subjunctivitis
el viajero Offline

When writing a post elsewhere on the board, I found myself unsure whether I was choosing the right verb forms. Which is correct?:

No es que creamos que España [ esté or está ] en las Américas.

and

Me parece más probable que el español [ haya dicho or dijera or dijo ] "soy español"

Thanks in advance!

#44398 - 10/20/03 11:26 AM Re: Subjunctivitis
thetoro Offline

Loc: Madrid
No es que creamos que España está en las Américas.
Yo estoy
Tu estás
Él/Ella/ Ello ( para cosas) está

Me parece más probable que el español haya dicho or dijera "soy español"
Estas dos pueden ser correctas Haya dicho si dice en casi toda esEspaña y en dijera se dice mas en el norte de España y sur América

#44399 - 10/21/03 06:48 AM Re: Subjunctivitis
Miguelito Offline

There's a light different between 'haya dicho' and 'dijera', both are right, but when you say 'haya dicho' the act of saying was inside a unit of time that has not finish, for example today, while when you say 'dijera' it was in a finished unit of time, for example yesterday.
About the other one, I found both right, 'esté' or 'está'

#44400 - 10/21/03 08:05 AM Re: Subjunctivitis
miche_dup1 Offline

What about,'No es que creemos que Espana esté en las americas....'. Using the subjunctive in 'estar' rather than 'creer', because the 'creer' verb is the subjective idea/opinion and so is reflected in the 'estar' verb confused (an idea, I'm not sure).

#44401 - 10/21/03 08:23 AM Re: Subjunctivitis
el viajero Offline

Hi, miche. The esté/está one is tricky (and I need to figure out these subtleties before I go for my English-Spanish translation exam next year). On the one hand, creer usually takes the indicative, even though it's an opinion. But I'm not sure whether the negation ("No es que creamos que...") might make it subjunctive. Saludos.

#44402 - 10/21/03 11:18 AM Re: Subjunctivitis
Miguelito Offline

No Miche, that's wrong, I don't know why but it sounds very strange.

#44403 - 10/21/03 05:58 PM Re: Subjunctivitis
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Just an addition to what Miguelito said about the difference between "haya dicho" and "dijera". This is something that was hard for me to grasp the first time I went to study in Spain, as I was soo used to mexican spanish.

In Spain, "haya dicho" is used just as Miguelito said, within a specific time frame that has not yet ended. Dijera would be used when that time frame has ended.

In contrast, in Mexico, and Im assuming other parts of latin America the use is different. In Mexico, dijera would almost always be used, even if it was just said a couple mintues ago within the same conversation. In this respect the use is more similar to in the usa, "I said", "I have said".

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is just how it has been explained to me by my friends from Mexico, and Spain smile . Obviously either makes sense, what is typical just depends on the location rolleyes .

Kelly

#44404 - 10/22/03 10:14 AM Re: Subjunctivitis
miche_dup1 Offline

Thanks Miguel, I have such a long way to go and a head made out of wood, but it's fun.
Good luck El Viajero.

#44405 - 10/22/03 11:00 AM Re: Subjunctivitis
el viajero Offline

Thanks for the replies! It's areas like these where my grasp of the subjunctive gets hazy. smile

#44406 - 10/23/03 07:31 AM Re: Subjunctivitis
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
"esté" (subjunctive)sounds OK to me because "no es que creamos que" is like saying "no creemos que". On the other hand "creer" has not been negated within its own clause, so if you were being very strictly syntactic about it, it should probably be "está". Personally, I would go with the semantics (esté). They can't touch you for it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2750 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments