Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#44295 - 09/18/03 02:36 AM The difference from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish..
Merovingian Offline

What's the difference?

I've watched Mexican speaking people and movies and have listened to it at school, etc.

But when I watch and listen to Spain spanish, it sounds different. Much more proper I suppose. Is it me or is their a difference? Also, What are the differences and which words are different.

Thanks for reading this and taking your time to reply, Christian. cool

#44296 - 09/18/03 08:01 AM Re: The difference from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish..
Espe3 Offline

You've opened a huge can of worms here... the answer, a world!

Yes, they are very different. To begin with something simple: the accent. Think American English and Scottish- sounds very different.

The words... there are LOADS of different words- keep in mind that aside from its own adaptations, in Mexico there is also the indian influence on their Spanish and how they've developed it over the years. There's no easy or short list to compile that anyone can give and say here: these are the differences- and you could memorize.

Aside from that, there are words that we both use, but depending on if you're in Spain or Mexico, or several other South American or latin countries will have a different meaning! :o

Sorry, but there are no short cuts! You'll just have to learn as you go. As you become more proficient in the language, and used to hearing listeners from different places, you'll also begin to learn some of those differences in the language.

#44297 - 09/18/03 12:33 PM Re: The difference from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish..
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
A logical question at this point in your progress is with which group do you plan on interacting with the most in Spanish. I mean, will you be communicating primarily with Mexican and/or Central Americans, or more so with Europeans? This is what should influence which 'accent' and regionalism you choose to concentrate on really mastering.

It's interesting in my case. I have always gravitated toward Castilian, Madrileño Spanish: I speak with a heavy peninsular accent, having lived and studied my M.A. in Madrid in Salamanca. But to this day, after all the time and effort spent in Spain and around Spanish lexicon and dialectology, I still have an easier time with 'American' Spanish. I can just understand their Spanish better: their words don't all roll into one and they speak somewhat slower with more breaks between words. It's been some what frustrating in this regard: I'll listen to Radio Nacional de España and get about %50 of what they say, but then on the way home from work turn on any one of many hispanic stations and get %90 of it, save for the cultural "inside" jokes that are out of context for me.

Oh well, instead of fighting it, I try to embrace it, especially since here in L.A., there are very few Spaniards (haven't yet met one) and a whole lot of Mexicans.

#44298 - 09/18/03 04:05 PM Re: The difference from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish..
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Rocie and Espe3 gave you a pretty good description of the various Spanish dialects. Its no different than in the English speaking world. You have England that is the mother country for English and the difinitive for all English. Then you have American-English, Canadian-English, Irish/Scottish-English, Australian/New Zealand-English, and so on...each country speaks it but has their own distinct words, phrases and meanings added to English, aside from introducing words from native peoples of those lands or Gaelic, etc.

Spanish is the same way. Castillian is the standard form of Spanish in Spain. Even then it differs from region to region, not including the other languages spoken in Spain. When it was introduced to the Americas it changed according to the cultures and regions. You have Mexican Spanish which is more rustic in rural areas and more cultured in the city, then there's trade-route Spanish which is spoken in Cuba, Puerto-Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama.

Then you have South American Spanish which differs greatly from country to country. I've heard some heated arguments as to which country speaks the purest form of Castillian outside of Spain by South Americans.

Now, don't ask about Spanglish, although considering the "lengua de la calle" which is popular in parts of Spain they shouldn't complain. They're butchering their own language.

#44299 - 09/18/03 04:26 PM Re: The difference from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish..
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Merovingian,

Is there a difference? Yes! As our friends Espe and Rocinante have stated there are indeed many differences. Particularly in phonetics.

Phonetically, there are differences among the regions of Spain. For example, the Spanish spoken in the Canary Islands is phonetically different from that of Castilla. The Castillian accent is the one that is spoken in Old and New Castilla and has that lovely lisping sound (at least when I listen to Julio Iglesias it's lovely.) Also, there are variations in meaning of words. For example, in Madrid the term autobus is used for what we call a bus, but in the Canary Islands, they use the term "guagua."

Likewise, in South and Central America, there are phonetic variations. I have found that the people from Columbia, Bolivia,and Chile, have a very formal way of speaking Spanish. The Caribeños (Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic) phonetically sound more like the Canary Islanders and the Gallegos,and it may be because of the immigration patterns.

It is still the same root language, but with regional variations.

#44300 - 09/18/03 05:05 PM Re: The difference from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish..
mikey Offline

Loc: ny
It's funny because I live in NY and hear the Latin American SPanish almost everyday and I can't understand a word! I'm the reverse of Rocinante. I think that Latin American Spanish rolls its words together and lacks pauses and almost can get understand about 50%. On the other hand I think the Castillian is crisp and clear and almost get 90% of what's going on.

Point? That it will also depend on yourself. You will form your own speaking/listening habits and gravitate toward the dialect you like the most.

But have fun with the language as a whole!

#44301 - 09/18/03 06:02 PM Re: The difference from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish..
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
I enjoy all dialects of Spanish. I love listening to the veseo, which sadly isn't used in Spain anymore, but it is still used in some Latin countries.

Like Italian, Castillian is perfect for music...smooth sounding, poetic, not choppy or harsh. If you've ever heard the great Spanish singers of opera and zarzuela you can appreciate the beauty of the language.

#44302 - 09/18/03 09:03 PM Re: The difference from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish..
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Oso, you bring back memories, I have not heard zarzuelas in a long time. You are right castellano sounds delightlful in song! I love to hear Julio Iglesias croon out a song... wink
Who are the zarzuela greats of today, do you know?

#44303 - 09/19/03 03:01 PM Re: The difference from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish..
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
Just for curiosity I'm wondering in Mikey's case if the majority of the Latin American Spanish you here in NY is primarily Caribean, with large Puerto Rican and Dominican communities. In this case, then yes I agree, I have great more difficulty with this accent than any other by far. The aspiration of the sylable final S really takes time to get used to. For example when hispanic baseball players speak amongst themselves (most of them are caribean) I'm lost.

#44304 - 09/19/03 08:21 PM Re: The difference from Spain Spanish and Mexican Spanish..
mikey Offline

Loc: ny
Hi,

I guess for the most part it's carribean. But I hear a lot of Central American and Mexican as well. To me the Central American and Mexican sounds really hurried and twangy. The carribean seems to be really smooshed together and the S thing you talk about. I mean with South American countries such as Argentina and Columbia I can understand them well because they speak clearly but I dunno it doesn't have that crispness that Castillian does.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments