Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#44216 - 05/18/03 03:40 PM spanglish-wot does everyone think about it?
Shona Offline

Loc: England
I've just been listening to the spanishradio and a comentary on all the football matches played tonight. The reporter said that someone had done a "hat-trick". To me-living in england having learnt spanish for 10 years-it makes me laugh that they then use english words. It sometimes makes me a bit annoyed that i spend ages learning spanish and then all these english words keep cropping up.
I know that we-the british-use words such a finca,salsa,sombrero,flamenco and lots more words but it seems to me that its a lot more widespread in the spanish langauge.
Is it just me?

#44217 - 05/19/03 12:27 AM Re: spanglish-wot does everyone think about it?
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Hey Shona, I don't think that it's more widespread in Spanish, simply because there are many words in English that have no equivilent in Spanish or other languages, and being that English is the international language it has made it's way into the idiom of many languages. What you descirbed as Spanglish is not Spanglish to me. Here in the US, we speak Spanglish, and it's not just using an English word to substitute for Spanish. It's a blend of the two, sort of like putting a Chevy body on a Ford chassis. Aside from conversing in one language and switching to another in mid-sentence, Spanglish changes English words to sound Spanish, i.e. nikleh=nickle, daime=dime, lonche=lunch, puchar=to push.

#44218 - 05/19/03 09:29 AM Re: spanglish-wot does everyone think about it?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
I think it's just football (futbol). It's a British invention, and when it went to Spain so did a lot of the terminology - chutar, driblar, gol, penalti, corner etc.

It's like Flamenco, all the terminology is Spanish, wherever you study it - rasgueo, compás, falseta, llamada, apoyando, tirando etc etc. If Flamenco was as popular as footy we'd all be saying things like "his toque has aire, but the rasgueo in the llamada was out of compás"! (well, maybe!)

#44219 - 05/19/03 10:15 AM Re: spanglish-wot does everyone think about it?
Miguelito Offline

I hate all the sport press. They make a very incorrect use of the language and they don't care about it at all. I hate the 'hat trick' expression and many others they do, although I find other words like chutar or penalti OK.

#44220 - 05/19/03 06:02 PM Re: spanglish-wot does everyone think about it?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Perhaps there needs to be a definition of what constitutes "Spanglish" (or Castellankee...). laugh

Much of the "ni de aquí ni de allí" language that passes itself off for Spanish/Spanglish in SoCal and AZ/NM/TX is nothing more than a lack of education/common usage. If that's your definition of Spanglish, then so be it, I can accept that.

In athletics (and science, too!), there are terminologies associated with the game/discipline of choice that are "borrowed" into other languages [ex. córner, pénalti, etc.]. If you consider that Spanglish, then so be it.

I don't think that the two usages are the same, however. I would tend to go along with the former rather than the latter when defining Spanglish. The latter is simply borrowing, a practice that has been going on linguistically since the Tower of Babel...if you don't agree, put in your favorite "cómpac dis", drop your head on your almohada and sleep on it. You'll come around by morning. wink

With the advent of technology and how quickly it develops, the associated terminology usually is described in terms of either a) the society that pioneered it, or b) the one that markets it. This may account for the proliferation of English terminologies in other languages, even though English itself isn't nearly as old as many of those languages.

#44221 - 05/19/03 06:43 PM Re: spanglish-wot does everyone think about it?
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
I was in Madrid over Christmas visiting some friends and we were driving to a hotel to meet someone. My Spanish friends (from Madrid and Barcelona) were asking me about Spanish in NY and saying how they HATE how latinos screw up Spanish by adding in English words. At that very moment, one of them said, "Tenemos que buscar un parking." <groan>

Melinda

#44222 - 05/19/03 07:56 PM Re: spanglish-wot does everyone think about it?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
laugh laugh laugh

#44223 - 05/19/03 09:57 PM Re: spanglish-wot does everyone think about it?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Some "Spanglishisms" I can handle. Some make my skin crawl. One of the expressions that puts me over the edge is "Te llamo atras." (I'll call you back, for those of you who don't speak mocho.)

#44224 - 05/19/03 11:13 PM Re: spanglish-wot does everyone think about it?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

i understand spanglish is mostly used by U.S. residents of mexican and puertorican heritage.
i dont use it because i consider it uncultured. rolleyes also because im proud of speaking spanish. cool i also speak galego/portuguese,castellano,some french and of course anglais :p .in spain its not actually used,especially not in valladolid and burgos.

#44225 - 05/19/03 11:50 PM Re: spanglish-wot does everyone think about it?
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
The reason why Spanish, Italian, German or any other language is mucked up here in the US is because our society doesn't encourage the use of other languages, and children of immigrants grow up having to learn English to function. The schools discourage children from using their native language in order to learn English. Also children want to fit in within their peers and don't want to appear different. They abandon the use of their native language almost completely, using it only at home or among family members. I grew up in Los Angeles and attended school there. Talk about a mixture of cultures...we had kids speaking Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarine, Korean, Japanese, Italian, Russian and Yiddish! All of them were thrown into ESL classes and were told they could not use their native languages at school. The English speaking kids were merciless towards them, and this included many Latino kids who no longer spoke or refused to speak Spanish.

Also, as the generations pass, the native language suffers, as well as traditions and customs. Im 3rd generation American and my Spanish is poor, the worst in my family. Because of this lack in language skill my sons did not learn Spanish. My wife is not Hispanic and does not speak Spanish. I am trying hard to improve my Spanish and my boys have shown interest whereas when they were younger I couldn't even get them to say Gracias!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1658 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments