Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44167 - 04/21/03 08:29 PM Don Quijote Madrid: question re: student flats, etc.
that_girl Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I am planning to attend the Don Quijote language school in Madrid this July for at least 1 week, possibly 2. I thought I would have a place to stay with a friend in Madrid, but his flat is not going to be finished by then. Soooo, I will most likely reserve accommodations through the school. Has anyone stayed in the student flats through Don Quijote or a similar school? What exactly should I expect? They are cheaper than booking a hostal, but of course I will have a bit less privacy. I'm planning on booking a single room, non-shared. Will I have less "freedom" when it comes to being out at night?

I am also torn with deciding to take 1 week or 2 weeks of classes. I will be in Spain for 30 days total. I would love to take 2 weeks of language classes, but then I wouldn't have as much time to travel around. Does the school usually have excursions on the weekends, like to Toledo or elsewhere? If you were in my shoes and had 30 days in Spain (5 days will be spent in Gijón, which is already planned) and don't speak Spanish as well as desired, what would you do? See as many places as possible, or spend 2 weeks in Madrid? (I already went to BCN, Bilbao and Gijón last year.) I know, it's one of those questions without a true answer.

One more question: is July a super busy time for Don Quijote schools, and how soon should I book my reservation for the classes/student flat?

Thanks all!

#44168 - 04/21/03 11:30 PM Re: Don Quijote Madrid: question re: student flats, etc.
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
If you're really serious about learning Spanish while you're there, I'd stay in Madrid for 2 weeks. Even if there aren't excursions, it's very easy to take day trips on your own over the weekends. And there's so much to see and do in Madrid that two weeks with classes couldn't possibly be enough! Just decide which is more important to you - to get in twice as many Spanish lessons or to travel a week more.

I studied in Seville with a study abroad program so I can't comment about housing, but I will say that if you don't know anybody in Madrid and the school houses you with non-American foreigners or Spaniards, I would request a double room. The down side is of course having less privacy, but the up side is that if you don't speak Spanish very well chances are your roommate may speak it better and help you out and possibly know the city better than you do and be able to help you out.

Melinda

#44169 - 04/22/03 01:12 PM Re: Don Quijote Madrid: question re: student flats, etc.
that_girl Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the reply.

I do know people in Madrid - my boyfriend for one. He's the one whose flat isn't finished being remodled and I won't be able to stay at his parent's house - things sure are different in Spain (we're both in our 30s). I also spent about 5 days in Madrid last year, but to be honest I didn't see everything I wanted to see.

I think I'll book a single room in a student flat, and I believe the flat itself is shared between at least 2 students. I do like my privacy and think I'll have plenty of language practice with my friends. And since I do want to focus on the language, I'll go for 2 weeks since I have the time. I can always go to Paris some other trip, right? wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments