Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43956 - 09/30/02 07:50 PM Bilbao vs. Granada
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Hi everybody! Ok, I am having a problem (I know- it is a good problem to have though!!!). I am going to study abroad next semester in Spain. I spent the summer in Bilbao and loved it. So when I first started considering studying abroad again this spring, I immediately wanted to go back to Bilbao. However, my home University would not allow me to go back to the same place....Soooo I decided on Granada. I have never been to Granada, but have found out a lot about the city, and have a heard a LOT of positive things on it. Here is where the problem comes in... I have just received notification from my home University that they will allow me to go back to Bilbao now if that is what I want (the program there did not fill to capacity). Now I dont know what to do... Bilbao is what is comfortable, but I am also now thinking that going to Granada and having a new experience might be great as well. So my question is this.... has anybody been to both cities, or could explain some of the major differences here? ANY advice or comments would be GREATLY appreciated!! smile
~Kelly

#43957 - 10/02/02 08:25 PM Re: Bilbao vs. Granada
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi Kelly-

I've never actually been to Bilbao, but I would think it would be best to try something new. I am aware that the manners of speaking and even food and some customs are very different in the north vs the south, so you'd be opening yourself up to so many new experiences!! You can always go visit your friends in Bilbao on some weekends, but Granada and the south is such a wonderful place to be, I think you should experience it. You'll also be in the south for Semana Santa which is just incredible-they definitely do more procession-wise in Sevilla/Granada than up north from what I've seen.

It's really up to you, but I think you said it yourself-Bilbao is what you know, it's comfortable, but just knowing that you are the kind of person who would even consider studying abroad shows that you're not the type to always go for the easy/comfortable route!!

Although my vote is cast for Granada, I'm all for Spain wherever you go, so have a great time and be sure to take advantage of any opportunity that comes before you!

-Denise

#43958 - 10/02/02 11:34 PM Re: Bilbao vs. Granada
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Thanks so much for the response....I think it kind of confirms what I already know somewhere in the back of my mind. Its looking more like Granada is the place everyday. Things just seem to be pointing that direction, the classes, new experience, price, dates, etc. I also met some students from La Universidad de Granada who are here in the studying in the states for a semester (through an intercambio). So that would definitely be exciting to be able to keep up those new friendships next semester. If I end up in Granada though, I will have to become very familiar with the bus routes to Bilbao though wink

#43959 - 10/03/02 08:36 AM Re: Bilbao vs. Granada
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
My vote also goes for Granada.

The reason is that you already know Bilbao (which is a wonderful city) so if you want to experience something new, different, and wonderful, Granada is the place.

First of all, the cultures are different, the way of being is different, the food is different (probably radical different). Granada is a monumental city, its people are charming (same as Bilbao, but in a different way) and even de accent in spanish is different.

You have also Sierra Nevada at one hour (if you want to practice ski), and other nice places very near (Seville, Jaén, Córdoba or even Madrid).

You won't regret it, that's for sure. The question you must ask yourself is, do you really want to experience something new, or are you already happy and want to experience Bilbao for more time?

Difficult election :p

Fernando

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments