MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43891 - 07/14/02 01:32 PM Euskera (Basque) translation
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Can anybody translate
"Agur eta gero arte" (Euskera) into english or spanish for me? Thanks!

ok, I think after a brief conversation with my host brother here in Bilbao, I have answered my own question! Agur eta gero arte...."Adios y hasta luego". Can anybody confirm this rolleyes ?
Mila esker, eskerrik asko! (thanks..??)
Kelly

#43892 - 07/14/02 05:41 PM Re: Euskera (Basque) translation
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Yeah, you got that right. Also "Mila esker, eskerrik asko" = thousand thanks, thank you a lot.

#43893 - 07/15/02 11:06 AM Re: Euskera (Basque) translation
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Korrekt!

I've also heard and seen 'gelo' instead of 'gero'...remember that like any language, you get lots of regional variation with euskera...

CaliBasco [Who can at least string one long sentence together in euskera: "Ez baduzu erretzen askoz hobeto"]

#43894 - 07/15/02 12:17 PM Re: Euskera (Basque) translation
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I don't believe you guys - I think you just make it up as you go along. laugh

#43895 - 07/15/02 01:19 PM Re: Euskera (Basque) translation
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Thanks guys!! What does that mean Calibasco (or is it made up wink )? I have lived in Bilbao now for 2 months and I am still baffled by this "mysterious" Euskera language...it has been fun to try to figure it out (even though I RARELY hear is used on the streets...and everything is usually in both languages or just castellano). The way my host family explained it is that many people are able to speak Euskera, yet they do not normally do so on the streets or to strangers....kinda like they don't want others who don't speak Euskera to know that they do rolleyes Can anybody give me a couple good sentences, just common phrases, in Euskera...a general guide to pronunciation? I would like to know at least a little before I leave here in August! Right now, like many people living here, I just incorporate a few basic Euskera phrases into my daily vocab.
Agur- good bye
aita- dad
ama- mom
you get the idea laugh

#43896 - 07/15/02 06:42 PM Re: Euskera (Basque) translation
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Here are a few online things about Euskera, and a the search results from google with some more resources:

http://www.cd.sc.ehu.es/DOCS/book.SS-G/v2/Euskara.html

google search results

Basque is a hard language to learn. People from the basque country sometimes have lots of problems learning it, so it is even harder for a foreigner to learn it. Although everyone is very impressed when they find out that I can say the smallest thing in basque. The people here really like it when you take even a small interest in their culture.
Agur!

#43897 - 08/07/02 08:21 AM Re: Euskera (Basque) translation
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi.

Calibasco has said: Si no fumas, mucho mejor. "If you don't smoke, it will be much better" (I think that my translation to Spanish is much better than my translation to English).

The first sentence you must learn in Basque is:
"KAña bat, meZEdez" that means "A beer, please" laugh or, maybe, if you are not alone you should use: "BI KAña, meZEdez" that means "Two beer, please".
I've put in uppercase the sillabe strong.

Kelar, I don't know if your name is a Female's name or a Male´s name but here you are a couple of sentences to make friends :p :
"iNOIZ iKUsi duDAN NESka/muTIL eDErrena zaRA" "You are the most beautiful girl/boy I've ever seen". laugh . This sentence would sound in Spanish more or less as: "iñóizs ikusi dudán neska/mutil edérrena zsará".

"ZU eZAgutzea iZAN DA neRE biZItzaren oNEna" this one means "Conocerte a tí ha sido lo mejor de mi vida" or "Meeting you has been the best thing of my life". smile

Although sometimes you should say something like this: "ALde heMENdik, uTZI paKEan" mad that means "Vete de aquí, déjame en paz" or more coloquialy "Que te pires, no me ralles" laugh "Go away, leave me alone!".
P.D: "TZ" in "uTZI" is pronounce as "CH" in Spanish more or less.

#43898 - 08/08/02 03:29 PM Re: Euskera (Basque) translation
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
hombre_gizon is correcto! They actually used that phrase on an apparently ineffective stop-smoking campaign. [Hey, stop smoking, okay? It's really good to stop...now that's assertive...and backed with scientific data!]

Of course for some of your more borratxos on the board, you may want to ask for hiru kañak or lau kañak...oh what the heck, hamarabi kañak (a dozen, anyone?) laugh laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments