Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43816 - 05/25/02 01:32 PM Madrid:gringuitos learning castellano
toroloco Offline

we will be in Madrid mid June, 1/2 Español 1/2 American family. We wnat to know where our mostly english-speaking children can socialize, study or play with other kids around their age (6 and 70 and needs (learning some spanish).
Any ideas suggestions?

#43817 - 05/25/02 02:09 PM Re: Madrid:gringuitos learning castellano
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
toroloco, most of the 70-year-old "kids" play chess in the park or drink a caña at the bar when their mamas let them out of the house!

wink

Good luck finding a play date for your children! smile

#43818 - 05/25/02 02:36 PM Re: Madrid:gringuitos learning castellano
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Perhaps in public parks? Or in swimming-pools...

Fernando

#43819 - 05/26/02 09:25 PM Re: Madrid:gringuitos learning castellano
toroloco Offline

well of course i meant 6 and 7 years old but forgive my slippery fingers thread crappers hahaha

#43820 - 05/30/02 04:38 PM Re: Madrid:gringuitos learning castellano
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Find the local house of worship of your religion and connect there. You should be able to find families with a kid or two...remember that large families are not common in Spain...and maybe the same ages as your children. This would allow you to connect with the parents, too.

#43821 - 06/03/02 12:54 AM Re: Madrid:gringuitos learning castellano
Gloria_dup1 Offline

Loc: Casper, Wyoming
There are a few places called Ludotecas sponsored by the city government. They have organized activities with trained teachers. Each one has a different list of activities and they also have age ranges. Not all of them take all ages. You can leave your child for a few hours to particpate in the scheduled activities. Go to WebMadrid: Guia Digital de Madrid . They have a listing of these in Madrid. They also have a list of places like indoor playgrounds that also do parties, games activities, etc. Doing a google search will also get you more information on Ludotecas.

Kay

#43822 - 06/03/02 07:52 AM Re: Madrid:gringuitos learning castellano
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Regarding "Ludotecas" in Madrid as stated by WebMadrid :
Quote:
Play Centers
Didactic Playtime

The Children's Play Centres are a brilliant idea from the Province and City governments of Madrid that dates back a few years.

Usually found in Libraries and Cultural Centers with a librarian or teacher in charge of organizing all different sorts of activivites for your kids. The best things they offer are first rate materials and playtime directed at having fun while learning.

As well, in each Play Center (Ludoteca) there is a calendar with upcoming fiestas, events, sporting competitions, and workshops. You´ll have your kids begging for more activities.

Look in our listing for the Centre nearest you.

BUT, in August all are closed for vacations!
Have fun! Saludos, MadridMan smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#43823 - 06/06/02 12:46 AM Re: Madrid:gringuitos learning castellano
toroloco Offline

MadridMan, Kay Freire, and CaliBasco thank you....these ideas seem great. my kids are both half-spaniard but living in USA there castellano is well, americanized. so these semi-annual trips we make help a lot. problem is like someone pointed out (i think CaliBasco) families are no longer numerous. in fact all of our mid thirties friends in Spain have no children (not even married).
i will research these leads and report back either before or after my vacation.
cheers. cool

#43824 - 06/06/02 12:37 PM Re: Madrid:gringuitos learning castellano
Espe3 Offline

Families may not be as numerous as before, but there is always someone around who will have a kid the same or similiar age as your kids! Depending on where you go to vacation, I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble for your kids to find some playmates. Something you should take into consideration, at least for your summer trips, is maybe visiting close to somewhere where the kids have cousins, or one of your friends is bound to have a reative with kids close to the age of your own children. I'm a half and half too and my parents started by sending me to my aunts house, and there were kids close to my age in the neighbourhood, and as I got older, I went to summer with a cousin and her family, again, she had a group of friends and finally for the past 9 years, I went to the beach with a friend of my family with their kids (both my age) and we always had a group of friends to hang out with and practicing was no problem! Good luck and have a good trip!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments