Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43766 - 04/11/02 12:45 PM Drrrriving me rrrrround the bend
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
To the great delight of my Scottish husband, who can roll his Rs like no-one's business, I can't do it. Any attempt sounds as if I'm attempting a Daffy Duck impression and scares the cats. How do you do it? HELP!!!!!

Lizziee

#43767 - 04/11/02 01:09 PM Re: Drrrriving me rrrrround the bend
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
It takes practice. I remember I used to sing the song Reet Petite by Jackie Wilson to train my tongue. Also, don't try too hard. Just let your tongue hang loose and let it flap, or something like that. I know I'm not explaining myself very well. You'll get the knack eventually. I think

#43768 - 04/12/02 05:19 PM Re: Drrrriving me rrrrround the bend
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
can you say ferrocarril?

My spanish teacher made the class practice that word almost daily for a week... eek

I was quite surprised on a recent trip back to the states to hear my niece´s ever growing spanish speaking ability. She has a latina teacher in her nursery school who is teaching her. My niece can even roll her r´s !! laugh

#43769 - 04/13/02 02:12 PM Re: Drrrriving me rrrrround the bend
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
This topic's been done before, and I'll add in here what I submitted before: I took six years of HS Spanish, but it wasn't until I'd lived in Spain for a year before I was able to do it...here are some helps that have helped others, though.

To loosen your tongue and get it in position, try repeating (multiple times) words in English like "butter" and "ladder", as the middle double consonant is similar to where your tongue needs to be for the "rr". The most important thing to remember is to not try too hard, as this will make your tongue tense, and you'll never get it.

Try some Riojano or a couple of Mahous, and maybe that will "loosen la lengua"....

#43770 - 04/13/02 03:17 PM Re: Drrrriving me rrrrround the bend
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Calibasco, Did you say that you spent 6 years in high school? I suppose that your H.S. needed you to stick around a little longer, as Minnesota H.S. hockey is full of player on the 6 year plan. laugh

#43771 - 04/13/02 03:46 PM Re: Drrrriving me rrrrround the bend
LW Offline

Loc: USA
Hey Shawn, maybe, by CaliBasco writing "I took six years of HS Spanish", I think the key word is "of" not "in", but you might be right wink . I guess CaliBasco will let us know soon enough laugh
Smile! smile

#43772 - 04/13/02 04:53 PM Re: Drrrriving me rrrrround the bend
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey lizziee,
Trrry repeating trrrrrots,iam sure your husband will approve!!
For everyone who is curious about the trots,its a slang expression that english(and scots)use.

Right liz? :o

#43773 - 04/13/02 08:52 PM Re: Drrrriving me rrrrround the bend
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I posted this elsewhere, but the thing to do is to say "pot of tea" over and over again, quickly. After a while, your tongue will learn the rolling naturally--and it will start coming out as "para ti." It's not a long, sustained "rrrrrr," but it's a start on training your tongue to go to the right place in your mouth!

Tara smile

#43774 - 04/15/02 10:14 PM Re: Drrrriving me rrrrround the bend
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
Allright,

this is outside of the message board but MN hockey es lo mejor sin duda.

For good r rolling practice check out estopa estopa track number 3 or 4

Chris

#43775 - 04/23/02 07:46 PM Re: Drrrriving me rrrrround the bend
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
I DID IT laugh laugh laugh Just once, and not very good, but the cats didn't run away. Its a start!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2723 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments