Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43739 - 03/25/02 11:17 PM Need advice!
TheHype08 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hello all,

I'm really stressing out here! I'm studying abroad in Madrid in ten days and I have to get in contact with my host family. I think I have to call them. My major is Spanish and I've taken almost 6 years of it, but I'm so insecure about it and I'm really scared to do this. How am I going to call them from the US with horrible Spanish without making a fool of myself???? Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks,
Jenn

#43740 - 03/26/02 03:13 AM Re: Need advice!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hey Jenn -
Here you will find tons of former students who have studied in Spain like myself, taravb, granada girl, Monica and a host of others (Puna?)...

My advice:
1. Don´t worry about your family understanding or not understanding you. Chances are they are in the hosting business and you won´t be the first (or worst speaking) student they have ever had.

2. Your host family is looking forward to meeting you. Afterall, they have opened their doors to you! Any kind of communication from you prior to your trip will most likely be appreciated.

3. Spain is a modern country like the USA. The added benefit is that such modernism is mixed in with some of the most awesome historic sites in the world (historic...I mean way older than the USA itself).

4. Smile! You are leaving chilly Illinois and coming to Madrid (I think) where the temps have been in the 70s lately.

5. Really GRIN! You are about to embark upon one of the most life changing experiences you will ever have. Unless you are in a minor few, you will love, I mean LOVE every minute of your adventure!

Good luck and have fun!

#43741 - 03/26/02 07:58 AM Re: Need advice!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Jenn:
Please check out my reply under 'General Chatter'

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2759 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments