Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43682 - 02/27/02 12:09 PM Translation: ATM in Spanish?
GG2 Offline

Loc: Maine USA
I know that sooner or later we will have to ask where to find one.

GG

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#43683 - 02/27/02 12:23 PM Re: Translation: ATM in Spanish?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
confused
Did you mean to make your subject line: "ATM in English?"? If this is the case, nearly ALL ATMs in Spain (in the cities at least - maybe not in the villages where tourism isn't present) give you a choice of a number of languages, including English. This is what I noticed as a change from my October 2000 trip to my December 2001 trip. I don't think I encountered a single ATM which did NOT have an ENGLISH language option and I took cash from them about 4 times.

Saludos, MadridMan confused

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#43684 - 02/27/02 04:40 PM Re: Translation: ATM in Spanish?
GG2 Offline

Loc: Maine USA
Thanks Madrid Man. I can see that my question isn't clear from my brief subject line. I'm trying to learn the Spanish word or expression for "ATM". Maybe you can change my subject line to something more appropriate.

A great big thanks to you and everyone on this great message board for all the helpful answers I've found here. I'll definitely come back here after our trip to share our experiences.

GG

#43685 - 02/27/02 05:07 PM Re: Translation: ATM in Spanish?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
cajero automático = ATM

#43686 - 02/27/02 05:11 PM Re: Translation: ATM in Spanish?
Tia Offline

I´ve heard the abbreviation 'DAD' = distribuidor automático de dinero.
Hope this helps. Tia smile

#43687 - 02/27/02 05:18 PM Re: Translation: ATM in Spanish?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Actually, Tia, the word "DAD" to refer to a "money machine" is an English term. :D:

#43688 - 02/27/02 06:18 PM Re: Translation: ATM in Spanish?
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Everyone I know just called it "el cajero"

BK

#43689 - 02/27/02 07:40 PM Re: Translation: ATM in Spanish?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
GG2, I'll "update" your subject line.

Like some, I've only heard the word "cajero", but never "DAD". (funny one, CaliBasco -- about "DAD" being the REAL "money machine". hehehe..)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#43690 - 02/28/02 02:19 AM Re: Translation: ATM in Spanish?
Mama Chula Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
My son has a funny story about using the ATM in Spain. It seems his girlfriend, whom he met in Madrid this past fall, is from Texas. While he has no problem understanding the Spaniards, he sometimes has a little trouble understanding his girlfriend with her southern expressions. One night they and a bunch of their friends were getting ready to head out for dinner. As they were about to leave she said, "Y'all go on ahead, I'm fixin' to pulse." - "WHAT?!" my son exclaimed, "I give up, what did you just say?"

It seems she meant for them all to go on ahead and she would catch up with them but first she had to use the ATM machine. I guess in Texas they call it the "Pulse" - not the ATM! He could not imagine what she was "fixin to do" but he figured it must be something she had to do in private. I just thought that was hilarious. Oh those southern women, ya gotta love 'em!

#43691 - 02/28/02 03:40 AM Re: Translation: ATM in Spanish?
nevado Offline

Mama chula, that's really funny! I've heard the expression "hole in the wall" used by my British friends. Quite different from the U.S's use for the word.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1815 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments