Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43647 - 02/10/02 02:25 PM translation of "britches"
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Hola everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with the translation of the word "britches" or "breeches" (as in the knee-length pants worn by little boys). Does "calzones" sound right? And would this be something that a Spaniard would understand (perhaps little boys don't go around in britches).

thanks in advance!

Churrito

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#43648 - 02/11/02 09:08 AM Re: translation of "britches"
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
churrocaliente writes:
Quote:

I was wondering if you could help me with the translation of the word "britches" ... Does "calzones" sound right?

Britches is a colloquialism used in parts of the U.S. to describe a pair of trousers or a suit ('thats a fine looking set of britches you're wearing') perceived as unusual by the beholder. The fact that it's used mainly in places like Texas and Oklahoma suggests to me that it may be a bastardization of a word that was originally Spanish (i.e., Corral or Rodeo or Lasso or hoosegow (juzgado)). My most recent usage was to a very pretty young salesgirl at Boscov's Department store here in Philadelphia. She waited on me when I was Christmas shopping in the Young Men's Dept. I remembered her from the Shoe Dept. a time earlier. I commented: 'You're the girl with the leather Britches.' Needless to say, she had made an impression on me with her tight leather britches that previous encounter. laugh

'Calzones' doesn't sound right to me. I use that word (calzones or calzoncillos) to refer to underwear. rolleyes

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#43649 - 02/11/02 09:55 AM Re: translation of "britches"
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Hi Eddie,

According to merriam-webster, britch is an alteration of breech:

Etymology: Middle English, breeches, from Old English brEc, plural of brOc leg covering; akin to Old High German bruoh breeches, Latin brAca pants
Date: before 12th century
1 plural /'bri-ch&z also 'brE-/ a : short pants covering the hips and thighs and fitting snugly at the lower edges at or just below the knee b : PANTS
2 a : the hind end of the body : BUTTOCKS b : BREECH PRESENTATION; also : a fetus that is presented breech first
3 : the part of a firearm at the rear of the barrel

I rarely hear this word used in the US but encountered it in british lit, where many fuzzy brain cells ago I must've gotten the impression that only young boys wore "breeches." The word recently sneeked into something I wrote, which I'm now attempting to translate, as signifying something that is young or infantile (ie, "wearing britches.")

Ignacio from the board has emailed me directly and reported that it can be translated as "bermudas."

I think your story is kinda funny ... given the definitions above you were probably impressed with both her britches ... je je je laugh

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: churrocaliente ]

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#43650 - 02/11/02 11:07 AM Re: translation of "britches"
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I don't suppose "short pants" would do? wink

#43651 - 02/11/02 09:24 PM Re: translation of "britches"
Guapetona Offline

Pantalones de peto?

#43652 - 02/12/02 03:23 AM Re: translation of "britches"
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I was brought up with the idea of wearing breeches for walking in, but struggled violently against ever actually doing it. We see a lot of 'craghoppers' around here (you know, the people who get together with their Thermos flasks and bobble hats and do gentle hiking?). This is where they would get their breeches from: A shop with an ace picture of breeches

Other than that, the word breeches brings to mind upperclass toffs in the 1940's doing sporting things - shooting, driving. Or infact just being a country gentleman perhaps. These were probably woolley and prickly (the breeches rolleyes )

Sorry, no help with translation. Although as a child, I would probably have had a name for them!!!!!

Jo

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Jo-Anne ]

#43653 - 02/12/02 07:03 AM Re: translation of "britches"
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
churrocaliente writes:
Quote:
I think your story is kinda funny ... given the definitions above you were probably impressed with both her britches laugh
... And her 'boyish' figure... You got that right! I would like to use more colorful prose to describe the effect seeing this lovely young female clad in those tight fitting leather britches had on this septuagenarian (other than 'impressed,' and without getting vulgar). 'Britches' was the only word in my repertoire to correctly describe what that attractive young lady was wearing. rolleyes

Dictionary definitions have been offered, thus clearing the way for my interposition of some poetic license 'alliteration:' I behold a beautiful young lady clad in tight fitting, revealing leather britches, and it leaves me breathless and bedazzled (ojala que tuviera 50 años menos). eek

Alternative reply based on a more pragmatic approach to the word: 'impressed:' I would have liked what you say but there was no way
I could get that up-close & personal, given the situation and the circumstances. laugh
BTW
If you want the best Churros Calientes (con chocolate or cafe) in the Madrid area, go to Toribio's (on the Plaza in Barajas pueblo). Many aircrew members stop there before early AM flights, so it gets very crowded. It's open 05:00 to 11:00. cool

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments