Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43641 - 02/06/02 09:16 AM Cost to study in Spain
joey Offline

I am thinking of spending 3 months in Spain, intensively studying Spainish. I'd prefer to study in a place like Salamanca or Segovia, rather than Madrid.

What should I expect to spend on tuition and rent?

thanks in advance

#43642 - 02/07/02 12:40 AM Re: Cost to study in Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Were you planning on going solo or arranging it through a US university?

#43643 - 02/07/02 05:06 PM Re: Cost to study in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Nicole raises a very pertinent question. When I spent a semester in Madrid, I only paid the tuition and airfare. Housing was included and I only added in what I paid for incidental meals, side trips not with the class, etc. My university arranged for homestays, so three squares were covered unless we told our landlady we were "eating out". She also took care of laundry.

BTW: I traveled with BYU, and their current semester tuition for FT students is $1,550+. Back in the day, I paid $950 for the semester and brought about that much in spending $$$.

I hope this helps...If you can handle the BYU honor code, they're a good bet, as they send more students abroad than any other U.S. university. The 2,3, and 4th schools on the list are Penn State, Michigan State and UT-Austin. check with these to start...they send a lot which means they should know how to do it.

#43644 - 02/07/02 05:13 PM Re: Cost to study in Spain
joey Offline

It is not necessary to go through a university. I don't need any credits and am seeking no degree. I'd need to rent a house or two bedroom apartment, since I'd have spouse and kids along. Just wondering how much it would cost to take a leave of absence for that purpose.

#43645 - 02/08/02 10:27 AM Re: Cost to study in Spain
salbolt Offline

Loc: sydney, australia
To get an idea of how much rent would cost in Salamanca you should check out the accommodation service of the University of Salamanca website http://websou.usal.es and click on the Buscas Casa icon. They have heaps of ads for pisos to rent, varying in price depending on what amenities they have. It might take a bit of negotiating to rent an apartment for only three months as most dueños or dueñas seem to want you to sign a contract for six or nine months.

As for private schools in Salamanca, there are heaps, many with their own websites that you can look up to compare prices. Don Quixote is one of the most expensive but has a pretty good reputation. I studied in Granada at Euroestudios which was the cheapest school I could find on the net, but was really good with only about four people in each class.

Buena suerte,

Sally

#43646 - 02/08/02 12:45 PM Re: Cost to study in Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Good link Salbot. Joey, you could potentially find a sublet. That is what I did for 5 months. I found it in December and moved lived there starting in January. There are so many students there, I would think that some of them head home over summer. It might be a little more difficult with a wife and child, but maybe not. I would expect to pay a few hundred dollars a month if you share with someone else. For your own place, I am not sure. I expect Salamanca the cost of living in Salamanca is probably at least a third of that in Madrid...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1701 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments