Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43604 - 01/24/02 04:45 PM I want..It would please me... I feel like
breibach Offline

Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA
Ok all you spanish experts I need some help. I keep trying to learn the language on my own with frequent trips to Spain to help me along. Can I get your opinion on the following three phrases. I would like to know the suttle diffrences (English equivlent) and intensity levels of the following:
Quiero verte
Me gustaría verte
Tengo ganas de verte.

Are they all about the same or is one stronger then the other.

#43605 - 01/24/02 05:16 PM Re: I want..It would please me... I feel like
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi--I'll add to this my constant question about how I should say, "I would like" when ordering food or asking for an item in a shop. I feel like "quiero" might be too blunt, but any of the other forms seem really wishy-washy or overly formal.

Thanks!

#43606 - 01/24/02 05:21 PM Re: I want..It would please me... I feel like
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
taravb, I use me gustaria or quisiera. Are these the forms you thought might be too wishy washy? The ia form (conditional) translates nicely for any would statement in English, so the question that came before yours (sorry, I forgot the author of the letter :() would work well with me gustaria verte.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: la maestra ]

#43607 - 01/24/02 05:51 PM Re: I want..It would please me... I feel like
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi!

Quiero verte=I want to see you (strong desire)
Me gustaría verte=I would like to see you (more educated)
Tengo ganas de verte=I feel I want to see you (friendly)

Perhaps the translations are not the best wink

Think that in english you normally use much more twists to sound more educated and respectful. Spanish is more blunt and we don't twist that much the language to show courtesy.

For example, if you are in a restaurant and want a bacon burger and a salad you will say:
-"Quiero una ensalada de primero y una bacon burger de segundo por favor" And that will be enough respectful and educated (though it translates into "I want a salad first and a bacon burger following, please"). Probably in english you will use something as "I would like a bacon burger and a salad, please".

Fernando

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments