Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43522 - 12/12/01 08:25 PM Beggars, pickpockets: What to say?
Chica369 Offline

Loc: York, PA
It's been a long time since I've been in Spain, amigos. What are some of your best Spanish one-liners to get rid of beggars, annoying street people, anyone invading your space whom you suspect will snatch your wallet???

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#43523 - 12/12/01 08:52 PM Re: Beggars, pickpockets: What to say?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
"Déjame tranquilo/a" (pronounced "DAY-ha-may TRON-kee-lo/a," more or less) worked for me in the past. I've also said the same ("leave me alone") forcefully in English when someone was really being a pest. It's more the tone, I think, than the words. And a stare seems to work, too. It all goes back to what many people have said in earlier threads about being aware of your surroundings, not looking lost or hesitant, etc. The same advice goes for all cities/crowded areas around the world, I think.

But don't let worries about the odd creepy person get the better of you! Have fun!

Hey, Chica369, I just noticed another post of yours, entirely in Spanish, on a different thread...so you clearly don't need the pronunciation advice above! But I will leave it there in case someone else wants to give it a try....
Tara smile

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#43524 - 12/12/01 09:17 PM Re: Beggars, pickpockets: What to say?
Chica369 Offline

Loc: York, PA
Yeah, I'm fluent but didn't know if my rebuffs were corriente. We used to say Dejame en paz. Gracias!

#43525 - 12/13/01 06:54 AM Re: Beggars, pickpockets: What to say?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
As well as knowing what to say, it is useful to know what NOT to say. Here are some things one should NOT say to beggars (I know this works because I have never done any of these things, and I have never had any trouble ;)).

1. Do not offer to pay by credit card.
2. Do not ask them where the nearest cash machine is.
3. Do not express your delight at seeing a twig of rosemary.
4. Do not give them your Nikon and ask them to take a photo of you holding said rosemary.
5. Refrain from expressing negative attitudes regarding their closest relatives.

Does anyone else have any helpful tips for avoiding trouble?
smile

#43526 - 12/13/01 10:28 AM Re: Beggars, pickpockets: What to say?
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Hello all-

Once again, I will have to recommend "The Art of Travel" It is published online, free for all to read. It is one of the best written travel books, in my opinion. They have an excellent article on pickpocketing and thieves. Click Here to read it. If you have time, I recommend you read ALL of the chapters. They will give you a totally new approach to travel.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1810 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments