Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#43508 - 12/10/01 07:18 AM Re: Living in Madrid with young children
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hey Gail and Diana...

I too am married to a Spaniard...We should start our own club right here smile

The American Embassy in Madrid http://www.embusa.es/indexbis.html has a listing of American schools in Madrid (you might have to ask them to send you the booklet). Awhile ago, I posted the entire list SOMEWHERE but I cannot find it now. But as far as clubs go, there are MANY. Check out
InMadrid English magazine's classified section that has a list of Clubs like Toastmasters etc. http://www.in-madrid.com/classifieds/default.htm

I REALLY tried to get into (meaning emotionally) the thought of joining a woman's club, but most of them were not for me. They were for diplomat's wives who liked having tea in the afternoon. There are, however, some really interesting clubs there, especially the ones that promote "tertulias." GOOD LUCK!

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Tracy Moral ]

#43509 - 12/10/01 09:54 AM Re: Living in Madrid with young children
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
A newish website, www.SpainExpat.com , is a pretty good resource on living in/moving to Spain which should help. You might also visit The American Women's Club of Madrid @ http://www.awcmadrid.org - This club seems to be a GREAT idea/resource, but there is a membership fee once living there to participate. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#43510 - 12/11/01 06:20 AM Re: Living in Madrid with young children
nevado Offline

I taught in several schools in Madrid and also had many private students. Most of my experience was with private schools, mostly good. Some of them can be quite pricy but there are some less expensive ones. The one public school I worked for was a disaster. I only had that one experience (after school) but the conditions were poor. I was not impressed with faciliy or the kids. I wish I had a more diverse experience with the public schools because my impression of that one has unfairly tainted my opinion. The private schools were all good to fantastic. I understand your concern about the subjects- I was blown away by the knowledge of most of my students.
As for social clubs, I was on the young side when I lived there and never explored the expat social life.
I would take Diana's advice and stick closer to home for your school. If your husband is going to be working in Barajas, I'd stick to that side of Madrid. Most private schools have bus service you can take advantage of. I think Alameda de Osuna is a nice community to research. I lived there for a period and it's well connected to the city and close to work.
Let me know if you have any questions.

#43511 - 12/12/01 08:11 AM Re: Living in Madrid with young children
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Duh...the list of American and British primary and secondary schools published by the American Embassy in Madrid can be found in the FAQ section of The Expatriate Cafe.

Here's the direct LINK!

Tracy

#43512 - 12/29/01 07:56 PM Re: Living in Madrid with young children
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hey Tracy! I am an American married to a Spaniard living here in Spain and would be willing to work with you in starting a "wives club". We live in El Espinar (Segovia), but I am in Madrid FREQUENTLY (3-4 times a week).

With regards to the bilingual school in Alpedrete...be aware, Alpedrete is quite a haul from Madrid (a good 40 minute run not counting rush hour traffic on the A-6). I guess it all depends on your style. When I lived in Philadelphia, I was accostumed to a 45min - 1 hour commute...however, such commutes seem to be counter culture here!

Good luck!

#43513 - 12/29/01 10:51 PM Re: Living in Madrid with young children
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
hey, chica--
my friend cindy lived in el espinar until a couple of years ago! small world, isn't it? we visited there in march of this year, but it was windy and rainy and we were too jet-lagged to stick around. we went on to avila that night.

but i hear such great things about your little village!

tara smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1612 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments