Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43247 - 09/17/01 08:55 PM More vocabulary questions
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Some of my friends have been reading the Pedro Infante book (by Chavez?) and have questions I can't answer. Are there any folks out there fluent in New Mexican dialect who can tell me what being "muy desde" means? How about "my consentido"?

Mil gracias from

la maestra(who is now beginning her illiteracy period...no novels, only tests!)

#43248 - 09/17/01 10:25 PM Re: More vocabulary questions
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Not fluent in New Mexican Spanish, but I just read that book. I think the "desde" thing was something the 2 characters made up, their own word to convey someone odd or just a trait they dislike but can't explain. (Nor do I seem to be explaining it well... and maybe it is a real thing) "Consentido," as far as I know, is sort of like spoiled darling, that is what I was taught when we learned the lyrics to Carlos Vives' "Fruta fresca:" "Sí, sí, sí, este amor es tan profundo, que tú eres mi consentida...."

#43249 - 09/18/01 09:42 PM Re: More vocabulary questions
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, Majesty! The desde thing still baffles me though. In another life I taught ESL at the backstretch of Arlington Park Race Track. At that time the "in" expression was "muy acá" as in "se cree muy acá" = "she thinks she's pretty hot (sexy)", so being muy desde could really be an expression in use everyday by everyone in NM!!

#43250 - 09/19/01 06:54 AM Re: More vocabulary questions
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
'múy desde' would translate to 'far out!' and 'mi consentida' is my fiancé (or in Spain: 'mi prometida'). rolleyes

with Mexico's presence on satellite TV and all that, a lot of these expressions have come into general usage in Spanish speaking countries, even in la madre patria itself. Maybe the Academia Réal will incorporate some of them into its next dictionary. ¿Can you picture something like 'de puta madre' in their official dictionary?
eek

#43251 - 09/19/01 09:43 PM Re: More vocabulary questions
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Eddie, I guess that would make reading a Spanish dictionary about as much fun as reading the American Heritage Dictionary! I remember when it first came out and students would stand IN LINE to look up their favorite 4 letter word!

#43252 - 09/19/01 11:09 PM Re: More vocabulary questions
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Oops sorry for the misinformation. Can someone tell me whether consentida really does mean spoiled in addition to its other meanings? It was an española professor who taught me that.

#43253 - 09/20/01 10:18 AM Re: More vocabulary questions
Miguelito Offline

yes Majesty, you're right, in fact, in Spain, it's the only meaning it has. It comes from the verb consentir and it is very used for children.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1701 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments