Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43163 - 08/15/01 04:00 PM Living and Studying in Madrid
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Ok, all, I think I may be making the move in January, I'm thinking of enrolling in an MBA program in Madrid, but before I do so, I need to find out some info:

What are good areas to live in in Madrid? I am looking at Schiller Univ, which is located in the Arguelles area, where is that? Is it safe? What's it near? (I'm most familiar with Gran Via/Sol/Prado/Plaza de Espana areas...

I would love to have my own place, but I'm not sure what the rents go for, and seeing as I'd be on a tight budget, does anyone have any suggestions? (I.e. residencias, roommates...)

I'm also not sure about the whole money thing--do I open a bank account there since I'll be there for over 1 year. And health insurance--that I know there have been other strings on, so I know-I'll check the 'search' function on that!

I know the school says it will help find housing, but if anyone can be of help with this, it would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,
GG smile

#43164 - 08/15/01 06:06 PM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
GG,

A lot of what you do financially can be done from there, using your existing savings, checking, and credit accounts in the states. Especially if your bank allows for Internet related activity.

When you need cash, you use the ATM card, when you pay your CC payments, you do it through the Internet, directly from your US account, and when you need to transfer money from savings to checking, or pay bills, you can also do it through the Internet. You can even set up the credit cards on automatic withdrawal from your savings or checking.

No need to do much else, and if you want to maintain an account in Spain, just withdraw what you need from your US based accounts, using your ATM cards, and deposit them in the local account... and thereby be able to show activity in it, and pay local bills that you want to, by using Spanish checks.

Hope that helps...

Wolf smile

#43165 - 08/16/01 07:09 AM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi GranadaGirl,

You can use this map to locate the place:
Remember to write Argüelles.

Mapa

It is a very good area (and expensive), with several well known lawyers offices, the Defense State Department, the Air Army headquarters, a conservatory, and, at least one reputated Post grade centre.

The area is safe, although it is very close to Plaza de España (400 ms.) and close to Gran Via, that you are informed about.

If your budget is tight, I would bet for roommating, for a small apartment could easily cost 75.000/80.000 or more, and, if you are understanding with other's defects and costumes, you will have more fun and social activity.

Take advantage of the schools help if you can. The first days you can stay at a hostal, with a special price for a stay of two/four weeks. I include a link to the newspaper that is mostly used for apartments search, but, as you can se, it only gives 906 numbers as an approach to offers. This is a very expensive calling number. However, if you buy the newspaper in the kiosk (not looking in the internet), you have conventional numbers. So, you will have to look through it when you are here. It does not help somebody looking for it for you, for you may not like its situation, sights, size, the landlord/lady, the mates, ...

Segundamano

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]

#43166 - 08/16/01 03:36 PM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Granada girl,

When my daughter did her Study Abroad last Aug. 00-Jan. 01, she stayed in Arguelles with a Senora. I also stayed at the Senora’s house when I visited her last Dec. 00-Jan. 01. Arguelles is a great place to live. The area is clean. The apartment where my daughter lived was just a block away from the Metro and El Cortes Ingles. There are so many shops such as Market place to buy fresh meat, vegetable/fruits and seafood. As Ignacio said, it is a safe place. Lots of bakery shops. Imagine, to have fresh bread everyday. You are also near Mango, Zarah, Amichi, and Shoe/hand bag stores and good decent and affordable tapas places. Her apartment was also a walking distance to nice park (Ancient temple). It is a walking distance to the bus station that takes you to Escorial. Everything seems just to be a walking distance to almost any place.

#43167 - 08/17/01 07:28 PM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
lanadecordero Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hello Madridman family! I'm new to the message boards..in fact I just signed up today! I've been visiting MadridMan.com for quite a few months now, and have come to think of it as my primary source for information on Spain!
Ever since I undertook to teach myself spanish at the beginning of the year, I've fallen in love with all things spanish. To the point that a visit to Spain is now a necessity.
I'm an engineering student living in Brooklyn, and I would like so much to spend a semester abroad in Spain!

Mclarke:
I was especially inspired by the postings you put up about your daughter and the time she spent over there. As a black man I was concerned about how I would be received, but it seems that I don't need to worry too much. If you could, please let me know the names of any engineering schools in Spain that I can look into. I have so many questions to ask you and your daughter, but I'll leave them for later postings smile
Hasta luego!

#43168 - 08/18/01 03:33 PM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Best for most egineerings Politecnica de Madrid. In mines engineering, also Oviedo's Minas Faculty.

#43169 - 08/18/01 09:13 PM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
lanadecordero Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Thanks a lot, I'll check them out!

#43170 - 08/20/01 09:48 AM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Hola, Lanacordero

With regards to engineering school, I believe Ignacio could help you better than I do. My daughter is an economics major at her school here. In order for her to get credit on the courses she took in Spain, the Spain Study Abroad had to be approved by her university and she had to a write a proposal how the study abroad could complement her Economics major. Once approved by the university, she then had to write an essay in Spanish in the program she enrolled in Spain. When she arrived Spain, she then had to take series of test to evaluate her proficiency in Spanish both verbal and oral. You must find out what kind of program you would like to do in the school you will be spending your study abroad. The best place is to ask you current school for referrals to do study abroad. However, if you just want to improve your Spanish both verbal and oral, there is a program in Granada where you could do a 3-month stay to improve your Spanish. Granada is lot cheaper than Madrid and there is more ethnic diversity. Here is the e-mail of Simon, where my daughter and I stayed at their house when we were in Granada. He teaches English/Spanish at the Language Institute in Granada. His e-mail: Simon Andrewes [simo@arrakis.es]. The Institute is cleaner than the school that daughter went in Madrid. They also provide home-stay for students who go to the institute. Buena suerte!

P.S. Simon is Brit married to a Spaniard. He has lived in Spain for over 10 years.

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: mclarke ]

#43171 - 08/20/01 05:25 PM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
ICAI is considered to be a very good private engineering school. I think they only offer "ingeniería industrial" (don't know how to translate that).

Note that, being a private university, it is pretty expensive. They take foreign students (special from other European universities) and also from the US.

#43172 - 09/06/01 05:32 PM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
sandyvi Offline

Loc: ireland
moncloa is the safest area to live. If you dont mind being part of a family and teaching a family english for 3 hours a day, with weekends free, you could be a lanuage assistant. they give you room and full board. I think its great. I'd open a bank account, its the safest way to handle your money. If you go out(which im sure u will) go to : PACHA, KAPITAL, ELITE, and if you love shots, there are 2 shot bars i know called: CHEROKEE and LA TRAMA(Where the guy at the doors still remembers me) smile they are near pacha...they are fantastic! its only like $0.50 for 1..100pts..but after newyear everything is in euros....

good luck and enjoy yourself,
Sandyvi

#43173 - 09/06/01 08:13 PM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
There are various Universidades which offer engineerings:
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) www.upm.es
Universidad Carlos III www.uc3m.es
Universidad Alcalá de Henares www.uah.es
Universidad Privada Alfonso X el Sabio www.uax.es
Universidad Privada Pontificia de Comillas (UPCO) www.upco.es
Universidad Privada Europea de Madrid (www.uem.es)

They offer Computering Engineering, Electronical Engineering, Telecommunications, Industrial, Construction, Mining, Naval, Aeronautical, etc... depending on the Universidad.

Hope this helps.

Fernando

#43174 - 09/07/01 03:34 AM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sandyvi,

Did I understand right 0.5$=1.100 ptas.? Where?

For my own information purposes, Is there a Cherokee bar, or you are referring to Cheyenne?
-----------------------
Oops! I read wrong, I didn't see there were TWO dots between 1 and 100.

Ignacio

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]

#43175 - 09/17/01 03:52 AM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
magasgirl Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
To which MBA program are you going? Is it taught in english? I am desperately searching for a program. Thanks if you can give me any help! my email is: danagurl19@aol.com

#43176 - 09/17/01 11:32 PM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi Magasgirl-

Check out www.schillermadrid.edu . I'm still contemplating what to do, but I need to get my application in soon either way.

When are you thinking of going? Would you need a roommate?! ha ha ha smile

GranadaGirl

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: GranadaGirl ]

#43177 - 09/18/01 02:51 AM Re: Living and Studying in Madrid
magasgirl Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
thanks granadagirl, actually I saw that in one of your messages after I typed it...but the problem with that school is they require a background in business. I have a Law background so I don't think they will accept me. I am now looking at the IESE program. They have one in Barcelona taught in english and/or spanish and I found out they have a Madrid campus. If they offer the MBA program in Madrid I would prefer to be there. And yes, if I end up in Madrid after all I would love a room mate! Thanks again..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1596 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments